Protecting the Royal Idiot - Chapter 22

Hey everyone! Sorry for not uploading in a while. :S

I just wanted to suggest a song... it's a really, really happy song. :D

Owl City - The Bird and the Worm

Cutest. Song. Ever.

<><><>

Chapter 22

"What do we do, what do we do, what do we do," I muttered. I could feel myself slowly going insane. Even though we've only been trapped for about half an hour, I was getting extremely frustrated. And freaked out.

"Jenna," Ryan said. I whipped around and looked at him. He was leaning casually against the wall, keeping completely calm. My eyes widened at him, and my eyebrows furrowed together.

"How are you so calm?!" I said, walking towards him. I felt a tug on my ankle. I scowled. This was as far as the chain would let me go. Ryan shrugged.

"I guess I just don't have the energy," he sighed. He sat down on the floor, still leaning on the wall. I wasn't sure if he needed the support, or what. I bit the inside of my cheek.

"So what, you're just gonna sit here?!" I shrieked, throwing my hands into the air. I know I probably sounded annoying, but when you know you could be killed at any second, you have no other choice but to be obnoxious.

"I told you, I'm too tired," Ryan said dismissively. I glared at him.

"I guess I was wrong then," I said coldly.

"What?" Ryan said. He sounded slightly annoyed. I didn't care.

"I guess you're not willing enough to do this for your family. Maybe I was completely wrong about you. I actually thought you changed. Like you said," I said. My tone was bitter, and I couldn't really care less if I sounded like I was arguing with an ex. I just wanted to prove a point. Ryan got onto his feet.

"Are we seriously discussing this now?" he said, his voice rising.

"I don't think we'll even have a better time! Ryan, we could be killed in two seconds!" I shouted.

"Which is why we shouldn't be arguing!"

"So what are we supposed to do?! Sit around here, waiting to get killed?!"

Ryan stayed silent. Our gazes locked. I felt all the anger bubbling inside me begin to disappear. Ryan looked sad, sadder than ever before. I looked down at the chains around my ankles, starting to feel myself resign. I met Ryan's eyes again, and he looked close to crying.

"You're seriously considering this?" I said quietly. Ryan nodded slowly.

"What else can we do?" he muttered, his voice cracking.

He was right. There was really nothing else we could do. I felt myself start to warm up to the idea of giving up...

"No," I said suddenly. "Shut up," I said, my voice rising. I glared at Ryan, and repeated, "Just shut up."

Ryan looked taken back. His eyes widened as much as his bruises would let him.

"Don't even try to convince me to give up. Just shut up and don't say another word. I'm getting us out of here," I said. I know, I sound pretty cliche, and I might sound just a tad corny, but screw that. I really don't wanna spend my last few moments in this place.

"And if you just wanna sit here," I bit my lip, fighting tears, "then go ahead. You can..." I trailed off. I didn't wanna tell Ryan to stay. I actually wanted to bring him with me. Ryan suddenly stood up. He got as close to me as his chains would let him.

"Your turn to shut up," he said. I gasped, and I wanted to punch him. I narrowed my eyes at him, flailing my arms. I started pounding on his chest with my fists, and I started sobbing for some reason. I kept screaming things, not even knowing what I was saying. Ryan grabbed a hold of my shoulders and pushed me back. He cupped my face in his hands.

"You didn't let me finish. I was telling you to shut up so we could get out of here already," he said.

~~~

"Ready?" I whispered.

Ryan nodded, staring at the wall. He was almost done using his keys to pick the lock to my chains. He was already chain-free, but he kept them around his ankles to fool the camera. We were purposely turned away from the camera. I suddenly heard a tiny click, and I knew we'd be free in no time. At least I hope so.

We waited a few seconds, probably to get out some last minute jitters. We stood in silence for about thirty seconds before I whispered, "Go!"

Ryan whipped around and threw his car keys at the camera. The stupid thing immediately fell off its mount on the wall, and I stomped on it for good measure. Ryan and I quickly yanked off our chains. We bolted for the door, knocking it down with our combined forces. In retrospect, you would think the door to a prison room would be stronger. Weird how we weren't put in a jail cell. Soon, we were out in the open, vulnerable to anything.

I stumbled forward, using my size for a good cause. I immediately ducked under a table full of weapons. I saw assassins start chasing Ryan out of the corner of my eye. I stayed under the metal table, just like planned. I was just really worried about Ryan.

Once I was sure most of the assassins were after Ryan, I rolled out from under the table. I snatched every weapon I could carry and stuffed them in my pockets. I was holding two pistols in my hands, locked and loaded. I looked around, and easily found Ryan running frantically toward me. As he passed me, I handed him the first gun I grabbed in my pocket. Turns out it was barely a gun.

"What the bloody hell is this thing?!" Ryan shouted as about a hundred assassins charged toward us. I stole a quick glance at the weapon I gave Ryan. It was a tiny taser.

"It's a taser!" I said, starting to take shots at the crowd of assassins. I winced as some fell down, but they were still advancing.

"I know that!" Ryan shouted.

"Then why'd you ask?!" I screamed, taking down some more assassins. Turns out they only carry knives with them. Damn, we're so lucky. None of them were holding guns.

"I want a better weapon!"

I handed him my pistols and pulled two more guns out of my pockets. Those were the last ones I had stashed.

"Too many!" I shrieked. The assassins were stealthily getting closer, and Ryan and I were stumbling backwards, not-so-stealthily. I tripped backwards on something, falling on my butt. Ryan quickly went to my rescue, but I was stuck. In a bucket.

"What the hell?!" I screamed. "Just keep shooting!"

I can't believe I'm stuck in a bucket.

And I can't believe I'm about to die. Along with the first guy I've liked in a whole year.

I watched in horror as the assassins got closer, only a few on the ground. Ryan was still going strong, not looking at all like the guy that wanted to give up a few minutes ago.

"Ayayayayayayay!"

Some absurd battle cry resounded around the giant room, and a clunky combat boot connected with an assassin's face. Mr. BTM landed feet first on top of the assassin, crushing his stomach. At least it's not me this time.

Mr. BTM pointed to his left as he kicked another assassin; he might be singing soprano after that. I immediately followed Mr. BTM's finger and saw nothing... at first. Then I spotted a flash of black hair against the shiny metal wall. Alan saluted me, crouching in the shadows and taking shots at the assassins.

I looked around in amazement. We might actually have a chance. We might actually win. We won't die. This is actually happening.

I grabbed my guns, realizing I could still help out, even though my butt was stuck in a bucket. I actually shot down a few more assassins.

Soon, there was only one left. And I could tell right away who it was.

Darlene.

<><><>

A little too cliche, action movie-ish, right? Or do you guys like it?

Comment! :D