Protecting the Royal Idiot - Chapter 17

Okay, before I start, I wanted to share how obsessed I am with this song:

Taylor Swift - Better than Revenge

Oh gawsh, that song is amazing! <3

<><><>

Chapter 17

"I don't think there's a random tile that opens some secret trapdoor," I told Ryan, watching him spring from tile to tile, stomping his feet on each one. He looked pretty cute doing it, and I couldn't help but smile. He caught my gaze and grinned at me. Oh...

Okay, like I said before. I can't let myself fall for Ryan. Sure, sometimes I melt when his green eyes sparkle in amusement, and maybe sometimes he makes me laugh, but that doesn't mean I like him, right?

"You sure? I saw this in a movie once," he said, jumping onto another tile like a frog. I chuckled, pushing him off the tile before he could slam his foot down on it.

"Just stop it," I told him, giggling. I don't know why I was giggling, I just was. And it was really out of the ordinary for me. I guess Ryan realized how weird it was too, because he smirked at me, cocking an eyebrow.

"See? Whenever you're with me, you're in a good mood," Ryan told me, stepping closer to me. I just shook my head and rolled my eyes. I thought back to all the times I was with Ryan. Well, I guess I was either really pissed, or really happy. I pursed my lips.

"Really," I replied, walking on ahead, leaving him behind. He caught up to me, falling into step beside me. He threw his arm around me, making me blush again. I mentally cursed at myself, and I shot Ryan a look. He quickly looked away and started whistling nonchalantly. Oh yeah, that'll work for sure. I let it slide, so he kept his arm around me as we wandered the giant train station, looking for anything out of the ordinary.

"You two are so cute," Alan's voice crackled to life over the transmitter. Ryan and I glanced at each other, exchanging surprised expressions. We had both forgotten we were on the transmitters. Plus, I couldn't tell whether or not Alan was being sarcastic.

"We know we are," Ryan replied smoothly. I shook my head and looked away. I stared at the ground, counting the cracks in between the tiles. I took in the color of the grout holding down the tiles, while Ryan struck up a conversation with Alan over transmissions.

"You two done talking?" Mr. BTM's deep voice cut through. Ryan and Alan quickly signed off, and there was a short sound of static. I guess they turned off their microphones. I did, too.

"Hey," I said quickly, involuntarily smacking Ryan's stomach. I winced when I realized how hard it was. He frowned at me. "Are you doing okay?" he asked curiously. I nodded, but I pointed down at the tile I had noticed. It was... different in some way. I was still trying to figure out how exactly. But it looked a little odd, compared to the others.

"The grout's a different color," Ryan said simply. I snapped my fingers.

"That's it," I said.

"Elementary, my dear Jenna," Ryan said. Before he could go on to some unnecessary explanation, I smacked my hand over his mouth. Then I grabbed his wrist with my other hand and pulled him to the ground next to me.

"I knew you were in love with me, Jenna, but you don't have to be so forceful about it," Ryan said, smirking at me once I had removed my hand. I flushed slightly at his comment, but I rolled my eyes and tried prying the tile out of the floor. Ryan tried lifting up the other side. We were both trying our best to pull the tile out of the ground.

For a while, Ryan and I were desperately attempting to pull out the tile, when a voice behind me said, "Ermm... What are you two doing?"

I whipped my head around, my ponytail smacking my face in the process. I winced, spitting some hair out of my mouth. I looked up at the young woman who was looking down at us, her hands on her cocked hip. She was frowning at me with disapproving eyes. I got up and dusted off my hands, and Ryan did the same, coming to my side.

"What does it look like we're doing...?" I said slowly. Maybe we could pull an excuse out of her. She had her eyes narrowed at me, but then she glanced over at Ryan. Good thing he was wearing his sunglasses. Even though you couldn't see his eyes, the young woman's expression immediately brightened. Now it was my turn to narrow my eyes.

"Well hey, cutie," she said, batting her eyelashes at him. She pouted her lips flirtatiously and stepped closer to Ryan. Ryan looked unfased, but I wanted to scream, He's taken! So I guess that's what I did.

"Back off my boyfriend," I snapped quickly, grabbing Ryan's arm defensively. I saw Ryan raise his eyebrows in surprise as I tightened my grip around his arm. The young woman glared at me.

"Honestly? An American bimbo and a gorgeous British man? I don't think so," she said, draping herself around Ryan, practically throwing herself at him. I rolled my eyes.

"Oh, I'm the bimbo. I'm not the one wrapping myself around him like a snake," I shot back. The girl shot me a venomous look, but she backed off. She just spun on her heel and walked away, diving back into the commotion of the train station. I glared at her, even though she couldn't see me.

"Jenna," Ryan said.

I mean, who did that chick think she was?! Oh really, I'm a bimbo? She was the one throwing herself at Ryan! Not me!

"Jenna," Ryan repeated.

Seriously, what difference does it make that I'm American? So what?! And who does that? I've never seen a more--

"Jenna!" Ryan shouted. I snapped out of my angry trance and realized I had a death grip on his arm. But even though I had just given Ryan an indian burn on his bicep, he was smirking at me.

"You like me," he said smugly. I gave him a sarcastic look.

"Oh sure. Ryan, that was so she wouldn't follow us around. This is a secret mission," I said simply, returning my attention to the odd tile, blushing furiously.

"Right, right," Ryan said sarcastically, kneeling down next to me. He was so close I could feel his warmth. I know, it sounds really weird.

"Yeah, that's right," I said, trying to pry up the tile again. I flicked on my microphone so Ryan would just drop it, and just to make sure he would, I reached over and flicked on his microphone. But just as I pulled my hand away, he flicked it off again.

"Ryan--" I started. He reached over and turned off my microphone again, making me frown at it. Just as I looked up, Ryan was inches away from my face. I didn't move, I stayed frozen on the spot, my face getting redder by the second.

"Well I like you," he whispered.

<><><>

Feedback porfavor? :3