Protecting the Royal Idiot - Chapter 9

Chapter 9

I spun around, aware of our proximity. I glared at him.

"Shut up," was all I found myself saying. Ryan raised an eyebrow.

"Well, it was a joke..." he told me smugly. I scoffed. "I don't like you. At all. Like, not even a tiny bit," I said, frowning at him. He chuckled. "Who's the pouty little kid now?" he taunted. I scoffed again, this time pushing him out of the way.

"You're very pushy..." Ryan said, following me into the house. I rolled my eyes and sighed loudly. "Will you just please leave me alone!" I said, rounding the corner into the hallway. I walked past the multiple rooms before my own. I didn't even glance into any of them, like I usually did. I just glared ahead of me, walking a little bit faster than usual.

"I would if you just tell me one thing," Ryan said, following me to the door. He didn't step any further. A few moments of silence passed before I spun around and looked at him, my eyes pleading. "Please, tell me what I have to tell you already. If I have to spend another waking moment with you..."

"Why do you hate me?" Ryan blurted out. He didn't looked ashamed at all from his sudden outburst, but my eyes widened. Wow. Very... straightforward.

"Wait, what?" I said, hoping he could ask a different question this time. Or maybe he'll just drop it. Hopefully.

"I'm sure you heard me the first time," Ryan said. He was suddenly serious. He wasn't being annoying, he was actually waiting for a real answer from me. I just stared at him with my mouth hanging open. I've never had someone be so straightforward with me, even though I'm like that all the time.

"Or do you just hate everyone?" he asked. Woah, now that sounded angry. What's up with him? Bi-polar much?

"No, of course not!" I said defensively.

"So name one person you like," he said.

"My best friend." I nodded surely. Ryan pressed his lips together and sighed. The sigh came out really weird though, since his mouth was closed. I supressed a laugh.

"So I'll repeat my original question," Ryan said. I put up my hand. "No, you don't have to repeat it. I'm simply going to enlighten you," I said. I put my hand on my hip. "I don't hate anyone, Ryan. I only dislike everyone other than my best friend. Some more than others. And right now, the people I dislike most are my parents."

With that, I just gently closed the door, not even letting Ryan reply.