Protecting the Royal Idiot - Chapter 2

Shoutout to Paramoreawesomeness for being an amazing fan! ^.^ You're awesome, and I love your username cuz Paramore is the best <3

Oh, and shoutout to ColorfulBeads for being my bestfriend :3

<><><>

Chapter 2

The car ride to the airport was painfully silent. I was staring out the window, watching the cars pass by and the people outside. Before we had left, Sara had shown up in my driveway to say a last goodbye. It was a tearful, heartwarming, totally cliche goodbye. But I loved it either way.

My dad was driving me to the airport in his Honda. My suitcases were in the trunk, probably bumping against each other. I really had no idea where I was being sent, but judging by how much I had to pack, not anywhere near home. I glanced over at my dad. He was staring straight ahead, gripping the steering wheel so tightly that his knuckles turned white. I sighed and went back to looking out the window.

The sky was full of gray storm clouds, which definitely added to the mood of the whole situation. It didn't help either that my dad wasn't saying a word. I would appreciate a few words of apology or sorrow or something, but not a word.

"Here we are," my dad told me stiffly. He was still grasping the steering wheel with a death grip, and he hasn't moved his eyes from the road ahead. "He speaks," I muttered bitterly. I got out of the car and slammed the door behind me. I threw open the trunk. I pulled out my suitcases, one by one. I walked over to my dad's window and knocked on it. He looked at me grimly. I gestured for him to roll down his window, so he did. He handed me my flight ticket without a word.

"Bye dad," I said coldly. I walked away before he could even open his mouth. I'm hoping he feels guilty for sending me away, at least a little sad for sending off his only child. But I bet he'll throw a party back home, with streamers, food, balloons, and the whole bit. I shook my head sourly. I walked threw the automatic doors, tugging my suitcases behind me. I had to hold my ticket in my mouth.

The airport was huge and modern-looking. There wasn't a very long line for anything, since it's just another normal weekend. It sucks; my parents sent me away in the middle of the third semester. I mean, the least they could've done was send me away before midterms. Sheesh.

I put all my suitcases down and flopped into a chair. I spat my ticket out, trying to get rid of its horrible taste. I held it in my left hand while I drank a few sips of water. I put my water bottle back in my backpack and looked at my ticket for the first time. My eyes almost bugged out of their sockets.

"England?!" I shrieked, completely unaware of how insane I probably looked. Everyone around stopped and stared. I just glared at them until they moved on. "Hmph."

I sighed and walked over to the electronic flight list. The bright green letters kept changing too fast for me to find my flight. I finally found my flight number way at the bottom. I squinted at the gate number. "Gate E-3," I said to myself. I moved away from the flight list to grab my suitcases. I made sure my ticket was securely in my back pocket this time.

I threw my backpack over my shoulder and grabbed my three suitcases. It was hard lugging them around, but I managed to get to Gate E-3 without collapsing. I stared in awe at the amount of people waiting for the same flight to England. Every waiting seat was filled, and there were even some kids sitting on the floor. I looked around the crowd to see if there was any similarity between the passengers, any clues as to why there are so many. But I just sighed, finding that none of the passengers were really alike.

I sat down on the floor next to a young couple and their twin toddlers. The toddlers were waddling around, and when they saw me sit down, they started coming toward me. I backed up a little, glancing up at their parents. The mother was smiling down at me, and the father was laughing a little. It was a beautiful family, honestly, but I'm just not good with kids.

"They're adorable," I said finally, watching the toddlers wobble around. The parents thanked me, and the father put an arm around his wife. "They're two years old," he said. I smiled as one of the twins fell over, while the other waved at me. The one that fell over yawned suddenly. The father chuckled and picked up the toddler and kissed its forehead. The toddler yawned again.

"Better put them to sleep," the father said, repeating what he had done with the other twin. I smiled at the parents' kindness. If only my family had ever been like this. The earliest memory I have of me and my family together is of... me throwing a temper tantrum at my third birthday party. My parents told me that, from then on, my behavior just went downhill.

"Flight to the United Kingdom now boarding," a dull man's voice said over the speaker. I got up and gathered all my things. I felt a stray tear travel down my cheek, and I quickly wiped it away.

Be strong, Jenna. You can do this.