Protecting the Royal Idiot - Chapter 10

Haha, I reread the last chapter I put up. It seemed pretty mood swingy, huh?

Don't forget to leave feedback! It's not obligatory, of course. Not like I'm forcing you or anything. But you know, if you're a nice person, you'll leave a comment... and recommending a friend wouldn't hurt either... 0:) Tee hee, but seriously, I'm not forcing you.

I'm gonna try to focus on ONE MOOD in this chapter, not that bi-polarish stuff I pulled in the last chapter. ;P My mood: DETERMINED! Jenna's mood in MOST of this chappie: RANTY & THINKY! If those are moods!

<><><>

Chapter 10

Bringing up my parents in our... conversation seemed to get me in a bad mood. I was lying on my stomach on my bed, listening to my music turned up all the way. I usually do this when I want to block out, well, the world. And my thoughts, too.

"Ignorance is your new best friend, ignorance is your new best friend..." I twisted my mouth to the side. I usually do that when a song comes on that fits my life. And right now, Ignorance didn't seem like a very unfitting song. I sighed.

What's so bad about detention anyways? I mean, I don't think it's bad enough to be sent overseas to a military school. It's not like I stole a car and landed myself in juvy. What's worse is that I have to protect an idiot of a prince and his family. And nothing has even happened yet.

I know I sound extremely selfish and self-centered right now, but I'm making sense, right? I mean, wow, they got threatened over the computer or something. I repeat, nothing has happened.

AND, because of the nothing that has happened, I find my training with Mr. BTM pointless. Sure, I learned how to shoot a pistol. But with my record, when are my parents ever gonna let me use one? Plus, I'm not very fond of guns. They're too loud, and too hard to shoot.

Prince Ryan's just a whole different story. Like I told him, I dislike nearly everybody. Sometimes, with him, I'm on the verge of hate. Honestly. I can't even decide how I feel about that guy.

Okay, I'm ranting. I should stop being a pessimist and do something. Like go out by myself, to the mall, or to dinner or something.

Then I remembered. I'm stuck in this castle to "protect" the royal family. Maybe they just picked me because they felt sorry for me. It's possible. Because a "more discreet approach" isn't a very great approach. If you wanna scare off whoever threatened the royal family, you gotta get two giant guys with big muscles... Like Mr. BTM or Alan.

Ugh, I'm ranting again. I yanked my headphones out of my ears and tossed them to the side. I got up, smoothed out my clothes, and walked out of my bedroom. I need to do some exercise or something. Doesn't exercise boost your happiness?

I still felt sour after wandering the hallways for a long time. I had nothing else to do but walk around the castle, and give myself a tour. Since I didn't have anyone to talk to, I just kept thinking, and thinking some more got me back into my ranty mood. Everything I walked past reminded me of something that upset me.

I rounded a corner and passed a table. It looked just like the table we have at home. Home. Just thinking about it gave me a headache. It all seemed so complicated now.

I passed a painting of a forest. It reminded me of art class, the first class I shared with Sara. I sighed loudly, wondering how she was. Did she make another new best friend? I wrinkled my nose at the thought.

I rounded another corner and went up a flight of stairs. I just decided to glare at the ground for the rest of the tour. It's not like the floor will remind me of anything. Although, the stairs do remind me of...

"Agh!" I fell on my butt after bumping into something hard. I frowned at the floor. "Sorry..." I mumbled. I looked up and saw an outstretched hand. I looked farther up, only to find two bright green eyes looking back down at me. I glared up at them. "I'll help you up just once. The rest of the times, you can smack my hand away like the angry oompa-loompa you are," Ryan said, cracking a half-smile. I shook my head and took his hand. He pulled me up in one swift motion.

"Sorry for being an arse before. I have a tendency to pry," he said, frowning at the floor, like I was before. Even though it's totally me to come up with some witty, mean retort, I just said, "Whatever. I was pretty, uhh, arse-like, too. I need someone to talk to anyways. Being alone makes me think, and thinking just makes me mad." Ryan chuckled.

"Is thinking too hard for the bad girl?" he said, his crooked half-smile returning. I gently punched his shoulder. But it was playful. Not mean or anything.

"For your information, I'm a straight-A student in academics," I informed him with a smug smile. He raised his eyebrows. "Really now," he said. I nodded proudly.

"So why is thinking making you mad, then?" Ryan asked. I didn't even notice we had started walking down the hallway.

"Well, it's not thinking. It's what I'm thinking about," I said.

"And what's that?" Ryan asked curiously. I glanced up at him, and then looked down at the floor. Actually, I was glaring at the ground again.

"Everything. Home, my parents, my best friend, my life back home..." I trailed off. I didn't want to admit that I was thinking about my life here so far, too.

"Hmm." I pressed my lips and looked up at Ryan, hoping he would say more. I tried mentally willing him to say something else.

"I know how overused and nearly unbelievable this line is... But everything's gonna turn out okay," he said. I guess my mental willing worked. And even though it wasn't much, it was something. An... okay something.

"Thanks," I muttered gratefully. Yeah, Ryan probably didn't pick up the gratefulness in my voice, since muttering is more disrespectful than thankful. But he grinned at me and threw a lazy arm around my shoulder. I crossed my arms.

"You best believe it'll all be okay," he said.

<><><>

Hmm... Has anyone out there read Maximum Ride? If you have: You know how the majority of the book is from Max's POV, and then some of the chapters are from a third-person POV to tell what's going on elsewhere?

Well I'm thinking that maybe I could do that here. But the thing is, I'm not sure if some readers will pick up the POV change, because I'm not planning on putting "Third-person POV" at the top of the page. I actually like keeping a constant POV. (Btw, keep reading until the end, it might take a while.)

The reason I'm thinking of doing this is because I'm thinking of bringing Charlie and Kim more into the story. Cuz... Well, I don't wanna spoil the surprise. :3

So whaddya think? Should I make a third-person POV chapter?