Protecting the Royal Idiot - Chapter 12

Well, I originally thought I was going out tonight, to one of those parties where I don't know anyone at all, so I'd have to feel all awkward sitting on the couch all night. Buuuuut, amazingly, I'm spending new year's eve in my own house this year! :D So I'm uploooooooaaaaaaadiiiiiing. :)

It's almost 2011, baby!

Oh, btw. About this chapter: this is written in Ryan's POV. I'm not going to put "Ryan's POV" at the beginning, because I find that... unprofessional? Anyways, this is for werewolflover78, who said I should write another POV! :] (But it's not third-person for Charlie and Kim, but oohhh well.)

<><><>

Chapter 12

I looked at myself in the bathroom mirror. I sighed and splashed some more cold water in my face, making sure I didn't get any on my shirt. Actually, I couldn't really care less about keeping my shirt dry. I couldn't care less about the reason why I was wearing this stupid dress shirt.

"Prince Ryan?" a muffled voice said from outside. I glanced at the door. My eyebrows furrowed together as I looked in the mirror again. I put my hands on either side of the sink and groaned in exasperation.

"Coming," I said loudly, opening the door. I exited the bathroom and walked down the hall, my stylist following close behind me. I scowled. I really hate the fact I have a stylist. The idea that my parents don't think I can dress myself well is kind of, well, annoying. And my stylist herself was rather annoying, the way she babbled on and on about nothing but how I could improve my outfit. It repulses me sometimes.

"Did you get any water on your shirt? Are you planning on wearing your sportsjacket? Would you like a bow tie or a long tie? And what color? May I suggest a dark color? It gives you a more... mysterious look, I suppose? Dark colors are also rather classy, they show--" I cut my stylist off, spinning around and holding up a hand. She fell silent, her black eyes going wide.

"I can dress myself well enough, thank you," I said calmly. The black-haired woman looked shocked, but I just turned around, walking back to my room. I slammed the door behind me, sitting down on my bed. I put my head in my hands.

I can't believe my parents are making me do this. It's absolutely insane. I haven't even told Darlene if I love her. Because the truth is, I honestly don't love Darlene. The only reason I'm dating her is because she comes from a rich, high-class family that my parents have their connections with. And my parents are forcing me to ask her to marry me today. I clenched my fist and threw the nearest object at the door. It happened to be the damned ring's box itself.

The door burst open all of a sudden. Alan and Jenna were standing in the doorway, looking just about ready for combat. Alan was in some sort of fighting position, while Jenna was standing in some goofy kung-fu pose, looking like she was about to karate chop a block of wood. They both looked around warily. Jenna glanced at me, relaxing her stance. I facepalmed.

"Did anything happen in here?" Alan asked. I just shook my head, my hand still covering my face. I heard footsteps, which meant they both probably left to deal with my problems myself. I sighed.

"What's wrong?"

I looked up with a start. Jenna was still standing in the doorway, her hands on her hips. She was glaring at me, instead of looking concerned. I blinked. She's so adorable when she's mean.

"Nothing. Nothing at all," I said, trying to force a smile. It came out as a grimace, though. Jenna frowned.

"Nooo, nothing at all," she said sarcastically. She looked down at the ground, and crouched down. I pressed my lips together. Jenna came back up from the ground with a velvet box in one of her hands. She held it up and opened it. Her head jerked back in shock, her eyebrows raised. I shut my eyes. I felt Jenna sit down next to me.

"Umm, Ryan? If you don't mind my asking... What is this?" Jenna asked. I opened my eyes to find her frowning at the ring. "It's a ring," I said simply. She shot a look at me.

"Congrats, Ryan. You know what a ring is. But what is this for?" she said, still gazing at me. Her hard glare faded away, and now she just looked confused. She had the most adorable expression on.

"Ermm... You might get, uhhh, upset," I said slowly and uncertainly. Jenna raised an eyebrow.

"You should know be by now. I'm upset eighty percent of the time, Ryan." She shrugged. I sighed for about the millionth time.

"Remember when I told you about my girlfriend?" I said. Jenna nodded. I decided not to say the rest. She was smart enough to figure it out for herself. I watched her eyes slowly widen.

"You're... marrying her?!" she whispered. She blinked at me. I opened my mouth and closed it again. I ran a hand through my hair; it's a common nervous habit.

"Technically, not yet," I said. Jenna gave the floor a hard stare. She sucked in a breath.

"Umm... do you want to?" she asked uncertainly, not meeting my gaze. I stared up at the ceiling. It intrigued me that she was asking this particular question. I glanced at her, then went back to staring at the ceiling.

"Honestly, no," I told Jenna. I heard Jenna exhale. She got up and stood in front of me. She returned to her usual attitude, putting one of her hands on her hip. She frowned at me. "Then why?" I stood up and looked down at Jenna. She looked back up at me with her adorable brown eyes. Geez, why am I calling her adorable so much?

"It's complicated," I said. She poked a finger at my chest. "I swear, Ryan Adams, if this is because of what your parents want..." she trailed off. I saw her flush and look away. I raised an eyebrow and smirked down at her as she shook her head.

"You swear what," I prodded. She kept her eyes on the wall. Then she looked up and glared at me.

"I swear that I will consider you the most spineless, idiotic, stupid man on the face of planet Earth," Jenna said, poking the middle of my chest again. I winced slightly.

With that, she stormed out of my room.

<><><>

I'm gonna go watch Despicable Me now. :)