ten

"ugh," sapnap groaned as he threw himself back to lay on the ground. he looked up at the sky, which was a clear blue with no clouds in sight, "i had a very crappy day."

karl could already tell without having sapnap comment on it. the male had massive dark circles under his eyes and his hair was a mess. it's only been a few months since karl and sapnap began to have these meetings, but karl's never seen him like this. sapnap is always so happy and energetic, so it's worrying and upsetting to see him beating himself down.

"what happened?" karl asked, looking down at the male, who had his eyes shut. the tension in sapnap's hadn't subsided yet, though karl wished that it would.

sapnap just sighed before raising a hand to rub the bridge of his nose, keeping his eyes screwed shut. "college just hates me i guess. i don't know how much i can tell you. i don't want to wake up, alone. today just sucked really bad and i have been looking forward to seeing you after all that and being able to just relax for a while."

karl couldn't contain the happiness that bubbled up from that simple statement. it's nice to know that sapnap enjoys being there with karl, even in the desolate place, it doesn't feel too lonely. karl likes to consider these dreams as the time he gets to just relax and not worry for a while, so it makes him glad to hear that sapnap feels the same way. he wishes though that sapnap could spill everything that is making him tense. it's frustrating that they can't reveal too much, though most of their restrictions have been found out. he wants to let sapnap vent and talk to him about anything that's bothering him, and vice versa.

karl wishes it was easier.

"it's okay if you don't want to talk about it," karl finally said after a moment of silent.

sapnap managed to throw him a smile, despite his bitter mood about everything, "thanks. i really do wish that i could talk to you about it."

karl spots something white and fuzzy a couple a feet away from him. he reached over to grab it, being very careful not to ruin it. it was a white dandelion. though it was smaller in size, it still was a very beautiful flower. ones that people would make wishes off of. karl held it out for the boy, who looked over at karl at the sight of movement.

"for you," karl said softly. sapnap looked at the flower for a moment before gingerly taking it out of karl's hand, "it's not much, but hopefully it can make your day a whole lot better."

sapnap's eyes lit up as he spun the flower in his hand slowly, "thank you angel."

"you're welcome," karl replied, "now make a wish."

sapnap let out a soft chuckle before sitting up. he brought the flower up to his lips before shutting his eyes and blowing softly. the fuzzy petals flew off with the blow as karl watched them float away in the breeze that passed across the lake toward them. he then leaned back on his arms and looks out at the scenery ahead of them. he looked very attractive to karl, despite the exhausted expression on his face. karl couldn't stop staring. it's unfair how unattractive he was obviously one of god's favorites. karl's heartbeat picks up when sapnap turned his head to look at him and gives him a soft smile.

karl tries to ignore the nerves that fired up in his stomach, but he can't seem to ignore them every time he is around sapnap. every little thing sapnap does is attractive, even the way he looks after a crappy day. it's starting to become how much he can't take his eyes off sapnap every time they meet. he shouldn't be staring at sapnap's features as much as he was.

they're just friends.

karl snaps out of his thoughts. he needed a distraction to keep himself from staring at sapnap. he suddenly stood up and barely gave sapnap the chance to speak before he shouted, "race you to the lake!" then he was gone.

as he ran towards the lake, he turned his head around to look behind him and saw sapnap sprinting after him. he was kicking up loose pieces of grass with every step. karl finds himself laughing as he ran, and it made him happy when he saw sapnap began to smile as well. it looks like his attempt to cheer sapnap up was working.

sapnap picked up his pace, and started to run faster to get closer to karl. karl was almost at the rocky and sandy shoreline of the lake before arms encircled his waist. this caused the older male to yelp in surprise.

"where do you think you're going?!" sapnap exclaimed, holding karl tight in his grasp. karl tried to escape free by wiggling in hopes to break free. it was no use. sapnap was just too strong for him.

"let me go!" karl whines, trying to break free, but sapnap just laughs and holds onto the older tighter.

as karl was in the middle of squirming, the two lost balance and fell to the ground with a thud. karl felt the wind get knocked out of him, and when he was able to regain his breath, he opened his eyes. he was met with sapnap staring right back at him, his eyes wide.

karl is laying on his back in the grass, with sapnap hovering over him, one elbow propped up next to karl's face. the other hand was gently cradling karl's head. all thoughts that karl had in that moment flew out the window as karl quickly realizes that sapnap is on top of him, almost caging him in and was a little too close for comfort. he can faintly hear sapnap speak as his head spun.

"-you alright? i'm so sorry honey, i didn't mean to let you fall like this." karl realizes that the hand cupping the back of his head was there to protect him from the fall. one that might have gave him a concussion. he can barely find the words to respond, what with sapnap right above him, looking down at him with immense worrying written all over his face.

"i-i'm fine," karl manages to stutter out.

sapnap is quiet as he studies karl's face, like he's making sure karl is one-hundred percent fine. the male's lips were pressed in a thin line as karl was mentally screaming from the close proximity of them. karl's mind was swimming at how close their faces were. he doesn't think that he's ever seen sapnap up so close. honestly, karl wouldn't mind if sapnap got even closer.

he shook his head.

that's not a thought you should think about your friend, is it?

"i swear i'm okay. can you get off me?" karl said softly, his voice not being able to get any louder.

sapnap's face twisted into a mix of embarrassment and realization from the position that they were in. karl could see the beet red heat rising to his cheeks as he scurried to remove himself from karl.

karl sits back up, brushing himself off as sapnap gently plucked the stray pieces of grass from his hair and brushed off his shirt. the butterflies returned to karl's stomach as he realized that sapnap just wanted to take care of him. he went and ruined that chance. he really needed to get his emotions under control. none of this should be happening. they're just friends.

"i'm sorry i grabbed you," sapnap apologizes, sounding genuinely guilty.

"it's okay, really," karl insisted as he stood back up, dusting off anything that was on his pants, "i'm completely fine."

sapnap has the puppy dog eyes in full motion accompanied by a pout. the expression made karl sad and amused at the same time. he wanted to cheer sapnap up, but ended up causing the male to worry about him more than he needed to. he's also cute when he's pouting.

"come on, let's go skip some more rocks."