thirty-one

karl was surprised to hear that his family wanted sapnap over for lunch the next day. sapnap was a bit shocked as well but brushed it off. it seemed like they were slowly but surely making process with everything.

sapnap had asked karl if he was okay with him coming over for lunch, and karl simply replied that he didn't want to waste a single moment apart for the rest of karl's trip.

"so... sapnap," karl's father began.

"please, call me nick," sapnap replied, shifting in his seat.

karl tried his best to hold back a laugh that was threatening to burst. sapnap was obviously trying to put on the perfect boyfriend act, trying to impress karl's family so they wouldn't hate him. it probably would have gone better if the situation was dealt with differently. the atmosphere surrounding them was painfully awkward as spoons scratched against styrofoam plates and the muffled sound of wind chimes outside the camper filled the silence. karl reached for sapnap's hand under the table, intertwining their fingers together as sapnap's thumb began to trace circles into the skin on the back of karl's hand.

"you two are... together, right?" karl's father asked.

sapnap shot him a concerned look. karl wasn't worried because he came out as a bisexual to his parents a while back. karl squeezed sapnap's hand in encouragement, watching his eyes flicker between karl and his father.

"yes, that's right."

"well, i hope you treat my son well."

karl saw all the tenseness leave sapnap's shoulders as he exhaled. it was quite entertaining to see how anxious sapnap was to interact with karl's parents again after such a long time. especially now since they were officially together. it felt like karl had brought his first significant other home all over again.

karl's mother offered some polite questions about sapnap's life and he answered, with simple responses full of caution. as the dinner progressed, karl thought that his parents had begun to warm up to sapnap, even if they still weren't convinced. if he didn't think hard about it, he could fall into the illusion that it was a normal dinner with his mother, father, brother, and his boyfriend.

after the awkward dinner, karl and sapnap headed back to sapnap's camper for the night. his parents had given them an iffy look when karl told them, but karl was a full-on adult who can go stay the night with his boyfriend whenever he pleased.

they lie in bed together, curled up under the covers. karl had one hand resting on sapnap's cheek, while the other rested under his head as extra cushioning. karl moved forward to connect their lips together in a soft kiss.

"i still can't believe you made me wait," karl murmured.

"for what?" sapnap quirked an eyebrow up in curiosity.

"for this," karl replied, kissing him again. sapnap fisted his hand into karl's shirt, pulling him closer until they were pressed up against each other. their legs became a tangled mess as they radiated heat. karl broke the connection, opening his eyes to see sapnap in a daze as the male stared back at him. his eyes were dark with love and excitement, cheeks flushed with red hot heat, and his lips red and shiny. "you told me you wouldn't kiss me until we met in person."

sapnap's eyes drop down to karl's mouth before flittering back up to meet his gaze. "i wanted it to be special."

"i think it was definitely special," karl whispered, going in for another kiss.

sapnap's hand loosened its grip on karl's shirt and slowly made way up to his hair, threading fingers into it. karl let out a content hum at the feeling of nails scratching his scalp and playing with his hair. he gasped against sapnap's lips when his lover suddenly gripped his hair and tugged, pulling his head back to allow more access. karl melted into sapnap's hold as he felt the male duck his head into the crook of his neck, pressing feather-soft kisses against the sensitive skin, before coming back up to connect their lips again.

karl whimpered when sapnap tugged his hair once more, and he could feel the cocky grin against his swollen lips. they broke apart before glaring at sapnap.

"what's with the pout angel," sapnap asked with a knowing smirk climbing onto his face.

"you can't do things like that," he mumbled.

"and why not?" sapnap asked, hooking a finger under karl's chin, tilting his head up to make eye contact with sapnap. his thumb innocently brushed across karl's lips, the smirk not faltering.

"i can't get enough of touching you," sapnap murmured, moving to kiss karl's neck, "we both know that you would want it to go further." karl shivered at the hot breath that had ghosted against his skin whenever sapnap spoke.

"we can't do anything like this with your friends in the other room," karl pulled sapnap's head away from where he was pressing wet kisses onto his throat, marking him. sapnap had an annoyed pouty look on his face.

"it's fine if they do it though?" sapnap challenged, only receiving a dagger worthy stare from karl, "fine, but whenever we are alone, i'll get to have you all to myself."