Trust broken

"I'm so glad your parents let you go to the same middle school as us! This will be so cool! We can.." I tune him out as Zuku continues to babble to Toshi. I only speak up when we get to class.

"Zuku."

"Yes, Kacchan?"

"Shut up."

"Yes, Kacchan."

"Hey! Why are you being so mean! He can talk if he wants to," a boy shouts across the room his friends nodding along with him.

"Oh! No, it's fine. I sometimes get carried away without noticing and Kacchan lets me know," Zuku replies cheerfully.

"He could be nicer about it!" one of the boys' friends says as he glares at me. I lazily look them in the eyes, lift my hand... and flip them off. Toshi snorts beside me while Zuku mutters about me being rude while we take our seats. The teacher walks in before the extras can speak up again.

"Hello class! I'm Mr Poride. Now, before we get started I want all of you to know that we don't stand bullying here, so we want you to be nice to Mr Midoriya here even if he doesn't have a quirk," the teacher says basically setting Zuku up to be bullied through middle school judging by the looks the extras who were trying to help him before were now giving him. Zuku has his head buried in his arms. There's no way I'm doing nothing. "Ok! How about we introduce ourselves?" before he can continue I stand letting my chair scrape loudly against the ground drawing everyone's attention to me and giving a feral smile that I know looks terrifying by the flinches it gains.

"I'm Katsuki Bakugou. My quirk is explosions." I let sparks crackle across my hands. "And I'm sure Zuku and Toshi will let me know if any of you extras want a demonstration," I look around at the extras with a glare that promises pain and let my hands spark again as I continue, "I'd be happy to give one." I then drop back into my seat and kick my feet up onto the table ignoring Zuku and Toshi's grateful looks. I spend the rest of school ignoring everyone except one guy who tried to give Zuku trouble... he definitely won't be doing it again.

We make our way to where we train with Aizawa sensei with Toshi and Zuku chatting about our first day at school. We arrive and make our way inside, but... it's empty? Aizawa sensei is never late. I instantly tense knowing something is wrong. Zuku and Toshi look confused but not concerned at all and I only just stop myself from rolling my eyes. They're too trusting. I slowly look around looking for danger when I see it. A strange mist spreading from the corner of the room, fast.

"Hold your breath!" I yell before I hold my own, but Zuku and Toshi hesitate a second too long and both drop to the floor unconscious. I quickly move into a defensive stance over their bodies as I go over my options. I can't breathe or I'll pass out, I can't blow the gas away when I don't know if it's flammable, I can't drag the idiots outside it would leave us all open to an attack and I can't hold my breath forever. My choice is taken away from me when a dark figure jumps towards me hands raised to attack. I quickly turn to them managing to divert the first few blows but my lungs are starting to ache and my head is beginning to spin. I take one last kick at the persons head managing to create the perfect opening to take them down, but... I need air. I suck in a breath which sends my spinning head spiralling. I only just feel myself hit the ground before the world goes dark.

&&&

When I wake I keep my breathing steady and my eyes closed faking sleep. I quickly take inbox of my surroundings. I'm lying on something comfortable, I'm not bound by anything and I can hear voices only a couple of feet from me... wait... isn't that... I bolt upright and turn to see Zuku and Toshi sitting on chairs next to the couch I'm on both looking startled at my sudden movement but otherwise fine.

"Kacchan!" Zuku shouts snapping out of it first. "You were amazing! Aizawa sensei showed us the video and you probably would have taken him down if it wasn't for Midnights gas! You..."

"Zuku," Toshi interrupts. "Maybe we should explain what happened." But they don't have to.

"It was a test?" I mumble.

"It was," Sensei replies as he walks into the room Midnight and Present Mic coming in behind him. "You did great," he continues with a proud smile. And I want to be happy that he's proud of me... but... I glare at him.

"How dare you?!" I yell as I feel a tear roll down my cheek. Everyone stares at me in shock. I quickly stand, ignoring a wave of dizziness, and bolt not listening to the calls of my name.

I run and run tears streaming down my face. I trusted him. I know he means well but... that was terrifying. I thought he was dead and I thought Zuku and Toshi were next. I lost everyone in my first life and they're all I have here, I can't lose them. I eventually stop running when I'm sure they aren't behind me. I rub the tears from my cheeks and look around. Yup. I have no idea where I am. I sigh and lean against a wall. What the fuck am I supposed to do now? My thoughts are interrupted by a shuffling in an ally behind me. I know I shouldn't, but... fuck it. I'm not in the mood to be responsible right now. I turn and walk down the ally. Halfway down there's a person curled in on themselves taking in jagged breaths. They're having a panic attack. Shit. I don't know how to help with this. I let out a small groan before stepping forward making sure my steps are heard. The persons head flies up and blue eyes filled with fear meet mine. I make sure my face is as soft as I can make it as I take another step forward to kneel in front of them.

"Hey, you need to take some deep breaths ok?" They stare at me in confusion continuing to struggle. Ok. New approach. I slowly lift my hand so they can see it and ask, "can I touch you?" They stare for a few more seconds looking uncertain, but they eventually nod. I slowly reach out and take their hand and lay it on my chest. "Follow my breaths," I say before I start taking deep exaggerated breaths for them to copy. It takes around ten minutes before their breaths are calm and even. I fall back against the wall next to them. That was stressful as fuck.

"Thanks..." the person mumbles.

"It's what heroes do," I reply.

"Hero?" he looks at me sceptically.

"Obviously not yet," I explain. "But I will be."

"You shouldn't. Heroes are all shit." I'm about to argue that Eraserhead isn't, when I remember what happened earlier.

"No ones perfect. And some heroes are 'shit', but not all of them are. And even if they were all shit I'd still want to be one, to help people those 'shit' heroes wouldn't."

The guy stares off into the distance for a minute before he asks, "what's your name?"

"Katsuki. Yours?"

"Dabi."

Shit.