you said forever

italics will be flashbacks/jade's thoughts

"You didn't have to do this, Luke." Jade said as she looked at the blanket sprawled out on the ground. Jade's favorite picnic foods were spread out across the blanket as was a small birthday cake. 

"It's your birthday, Jay." Luke gave her a smiled and gestured for her to sit down. She did so and looked around at what was put out. Strawberries, tiny peanut butter and jelly finger sandwiches, cinnamon rolls, crackers and cheese, and Jade's favorite apple juice. There were sunflowers next to the cake which were Jade's favorite.

"This is the nicest thing anyone has ever done for me." Jade told him. She had tears in her eyes just from the mere gesture of what Luke had done. 

"I did everything myself, no help from my mom." Luke said proudly. 

"I'm proud of you." She said smiling at him. "Really, thank you Luke." 

"Anything for you." Luke looked at her like she was the world. 

Because she was his. 

"Promise me something?" Jade said to him after he cheekily fed her a strawberry. She rolled onto her back and stared up at the blue sky with clouds scattered across it.

"Sure." Luke smiled as he stared down at her, a gleam in his eyes. The same gleam he always had when he looked at her. 

"We can never stop being friends. Ever." 

"I thought we already agreed to that." A laugh fell off of Luke's lips.

"We did. I just want to make sure, you know? You're so important to me." Jade said as she stared at the sky. 

"You're important to me too, Jay. Don't forget that. Where is this coming from?" Luke lay down next to her, turning his head so he could look at her even though she was fascinated by the shaped clouds in the sky. 

"It's not coming from anywhere. I just don't ever want to live a life where you're not in it." 

"What's happening, what do we do?" Reggie asked as he and Alex kneeled down next to Luke who was holding Jade in his arms, tears streaming down all of their faces. They were all in pain, but they didn't know where to go to wait out their final moments. This was their home.

"Maybe she's okay. If she died she would just disappear right?" Alex asked, pushing Jade's hair from her face. She felt cold to his touch which wasn't abnormal considering they were dead, but this was different; she felt like ice.

"We're already dead, Alex." Luke said aggressively. Alex couldn't even blame him for the harsh tone considering the situation. They were all stressed, they had every right to be. 

"Maybe she just went to sleep." Reggie said hopefully earning a displeased look from Alex and Luke. "Maybe she's dreaming." 

That she was.