2020

Devyn

Devyn

I sat on the bench across from The Orpheum staring up at the neon blue sign that lit up the Sunset Strip. I did this often. Everyday for the past 25 years. My body came and went. There were times I'd sit in a black room by myself and when I'd come back into the world, years would have gone by. I don't know why this happened or why it happened to me specifically, or if I was the only person that this happened to. Ghost, I should say. It became apparent to me that I was no longer alive after the first time that happened. After I crossed the street at Sunset and I got hit by a car. 

Have you ever stood up next to your own body? 

It didn't hurt, in case you were wondering. I did feel the car hit me, but by the time I hit the ground my entire body was numb. It didn't take me that long to just die. I was dead long before the ambulance even arrived, though I wasn't pronounced dead until I arrived at the hospital. Dead is more of a feeling. I felt dead, even though I wasn't. 

I remember seeing strangers crowd around me, I could literally feel blood pouring from my body, I just couldn't pinpoint where. I couldn't move, no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't speak. I could barely twitch the tips of my fingers. 

In that moment, that feeling was worse than dead. 

I was expecting to see the rest of Sunset Curve on this side, but I didn't. That's kind of the only thing that made me let go of the last bits of life I was clinging on to. Was the thought of seeing the boys again. That wasn't the case. After following my body to the hospital and being pronounced dead, I sat in a dark room for what felt like an hour. When I finally poofed out of that room, everything was different. 

The first thing I did was look for Bobby, who now was going by the name of Trevor Wilson. He did this after the guys died so we could still release music without his parents finding out. What I did find out is that Trevor was releasing all of Luke and I's songs and giving Sunset Curve none of the credit. 

I tried to find a reason for this, any reason to justify him doing this, but I only felt anger. I wanted to punch him, throw him down a flight of stairs, something. I couldn't believe he'd ever do something like this, I didn't want to believe he'd do something like this. 

After relishing my anger on Trevor, Bobby, Traitor whatever you wanna call him, I looked for Rose. It took me a while to find her, but I eventually did. She was moving into the house where we used to rehearse as Sunset Curve. My parent's old house. My parents left and I had yet to find them, or where they moved to but they sold the house to Rose and Ray, who were now raising a baby girl named Julie. 

Rose and I became best friends pretty quickly after Alex, Reggie and Luke died. She was there for me as much as she could be. It was a short lived friendship, only lasted seven months considering I died. Maybe if I hadn't died, we'd still be best friends.  Maybe I'd also be marrying someone and having kids of my own.