Olivia

Rosa was surprised to see Jake looking so miserable when she walked into work that morning.

"Why you so down? Did your night not go to plan?"

Jake sighed sinking deeper into his seat. "My night was amazing it was my morning that sucked." Rosa raised an eyebrow "everything was going great I made her coffee we chatted then all of a sudden she got scared off and ran"

"What did you say?" Rosa asked sympathetically perching on the corner of his desk.

"Nothing! I think anyway? I asked if she wanted to use my shower and then she said she had to leave. She told me 'I was a good guy' then walked out the door" he emphasised the phrase with air quotes.

A chorus of 'ooohs' came from Gina as she joined their supposedly private conversation. "If a girl calls you a good guy that means you're NEVER getting laid again, sorry sweetie" she chimed in as sympathetically as she could manage.

"I don't know what happened, everything was going so well"

"Well ask her"

"I can't! She left before I could get her number" Jake ran a hand through his curls obviously frustrated.

"Then go ask her in person" Rosa stated matter of factly "She said she goes to that club a lot so you know where's she's gonna be, she owes you an explanation at least"

Jake mulled this over for a minute not sure of the right move.

"Look sweetie" Gina began "everyone has seen how down you've been since Amy left and frankly it's bumming us all out" Rosa rolled her eyes "but it sounds like you actually had a connection with this girl, so for the sake of everyone here, please try and make it work"

Jake smirked "That was exactly what I needed to hear"

"It's what I do gurl" Gina winked, heading back to her desk.

Meet now

The text had been expected. At least once a week Mia was called in to discuss her progress but right now the timing was too much. Jake's hoodie was long enough to conceal the edges of her dress and the sleeves hung loosely over her finger tips. She pulled the hood up over her head and darted into the diner a few blocks down the street. Taking a seat at her regular booth the waitress quickly placed the cup of bitter black coffee on her table. She took a sip using the precious seconds she had to think of how she might explain the previous night.

The usual figure slipped into the seat across from her, she watched in her peripheral as a second cup was filled.

"So" the familiar sing song voice made her head look up from the steaming mug. "How was last night?"

The woman was tall with blonde hair that was cut into a sleek, long bob. She wore a dark pinstrip suit with a modest skirt that cut to just above her knee. Her clothes were professional but fashionable, her jacket alone looked like it could be worth thousands. Her voice was light and angelic and her face was soft and covered with a smile. Mia always hated when she smiled, it made it too easy to forget how dangerous she could be. The two looked worlds apart with Mia's head hiding behind the large draping hood and last night makeup smeared and flaking.

"Same old, same old." She said as nonchalantly as she could "Business is always good there. Feeling it this morning."

She looked into the twinkly blue eyes of the woman sat across from her and felt the usual twinge of fear trickle down her spine.

"I hear there were cops at the club last night. Know anything about that?" She asked with a sweet smile.

Mia held her nerve. She couldn't rouse any suspicion as she considered who could have passed on her connection from the previous night.

"I didn't see any"

"They weren't in uniform. Apparently just there for the event. I'll be keeping an eye out for if they come back, and we'll be running a tighter ship than usual. If they choose to come back I don't want anyone making any slip ups." Her light and pleasant voice was undercut with a stiff raised eyebrow. This reassured Mia that any mistakes would end with her in the firing line.

"There won't be any mistakes Olivia. We know the risks."

"Good" with this she stood throwing a handful of bills onto the counter and leaving without another word.

Mia could finally relax, removing her hood. The waitress returned to top up her mug but she refused handing her the money left by Olivia and telling her to keep the change. She sipped the last few dregs of her cup, her mind lingering on her morning with Jake before the fantasy was snatched away. The hazy moments before she remembered she couldn't have a regular life. She stroked the material of her sleeve wishing herself back to his bed but instead all she could do was drain her cup and leave. She had a long night ahead.