Regret

"You know Alex would kill you if he knew we were hanging out" Mia mused as she ascended the last few steps of the rickety fire escape.

"What's wrong with two friends spending time together?"

"Friends?" Mia asked daringly catching Drew in his lie. He kept quiet, trying his hardest to hide his smirk as he kept his lip firmly gripped between his teeth.

They had never been friends. Ever since their eyes first met in that rear view mirror they both knew what they were. End game.

It just wasn't the way either of them had hoped.

The city lights twinkled around them as Mia tentatively peered over the edge of the roof Drew had guided her to. They had spent the evening drunkenly staggering around the dark streets of Brooklyn hoping to avoid Alex as he made his nightly rounds.

Drew had wanted to take her on a real date. But between rent and keeping his head above water with Olivia, he had to settle for their late night adventure. Not that Mia minded. The copious drinks they had both consumed had left her cheeks flushed and rosy and he hoped to god he would find the nerve to kiss her before he took her home.

"Scared of heights?" He asked with a mocking tone as he pulled a crumpled joint from his back pocket.

"No" Mia replied trying to hide her nervous grin "I'm scared of falling" she smirked as Drew offered her the lit blunt. She nodded enthusiastically before taking a long inhale hoping it would make her feel a little less nervous around her brother's intimidating friend.

"Would Alex be happy about this?" He asked motioning to the smoke trickling from her lips. Mia only shrugged before tentatively taking a seat beside him on the low wall that kept them from certain death.

"When is he ever happy?" She giggled as the chemicals made their way through her lungs.

"When he knows you're alright" Drew said without a hint of sarcasm. Mia shot him a little pointed look and Drew couldn't help but scoff at her niaivity.

"I don't like Mia working at that club! I don't like creeps being round her! You better be keeping an eye on her!" Drew echoed her brother's words in a spot on impression that nearly caused her to fall back towards the street miles below. Luckily Drew's instincts took over and he caught her just before she lost her balance completely.

"Good job you are keeping an eye of me" she chuckled as her fingers instinctively wrapped themselves around the fabric of his shirt.

"Always will"

Mia couldn't tear herself away from the intense gaze he had locked her in. His steely eyes were mesmerising and in a moment of bravery Drew captured her lips in a fervent kiss.

That was the start of their brief love affair.

It felt like a fairytale. Just without the happy ending.

It had taken Alex a while to warm up to the idea but after some begging he eventually decided to give them both a chance. That didn't mean he liked watching them fall deeper in love, but luckily he didn't have to watch for long.

The end came like a switch.

Drew had been distant. Even at the club it was rare to catch a glimpse of him, he sulked in the shadows avoiding her. It wasn't until a creep's hand began wandering up her thigh that he actually showed his face. But that was the child in Drew. He didn't want anyone touching what was his, even if he was done playing with it.

On the rare nights she did hear the key in the lock before she fell asleep he was basically mute. Grumbling about being tired in an attempt to avoid her questions about where he had been all night.