Supply And Demand

The sound of heavy footsteps behind her signalled that she was no longer alone. She tossed the photo and its frame back under the table before relaxing into the sofa, hoping to look as natural as she possibly could. She quickly slipped the ring back onto her finger and within seconds he was standing before her. A small smirk lay across his lips but for once it seemed warm and welcoming.

"Hi" his voice was low but sweet.

"Hi." she didn't mirror his tone.

"Wanna drink?" He asked heading into the black marble kitchen behind them.

"I don't know how your liver is still kicking" she mumbled hypocritically. Drew only rolled his eyes before filling two large wine glasses from a bottle he had selected moments earlier.

"Like you're one to talk" He took a seat on the sofa beside her, placing the delicate glasses between them "You know if you'd rather..." his eyes motioned to the tremor in her fingers "I wouldn't mind"

"Shut up" she muttered, pulling her shaking digits towards her teeth, nibbling at the loose skin around her thumb. Drew only shrugged, letting a coy smile grow across his lips.

"What do you want?" She asked firmly, sick of the pretence that surrounded them. A hint of annoyance flashed across his irises as he lay back further into his seat.

"Wow, you don't wanna catch up?" He took a large gulp of his drink and Mia tried all she could not to physically recoil when his eyes found their way towards hers.

"It's 3 am" she replied bluntly "I want to go home"

"Back to your boyfriend" his tone was playful but the jealousy behind his eyes was evident. Mia fidgeted with the ring on her hand once again, her eyes flicking back and forth between it and the coffee table.

"Why, you jealous?" She asked without a flicker of emotion as she let her eyes meet the steely sea of grey that were his own.

He let out a stiff laugh as he took another large sip from his glass, his grip around the stem tensing by the second. He stood abruptly walking slowly towards her.

He matched the room's decor, his attire all dark grey as if he was attempting to disappear into the shadows around him. Mia rose to her feet as he invaded her personal space leaving only inches between them. She fought to keep still as his cool breath hit her skin as he spoke.

"I have a task for you but it's different from your usual jobs" Mia stayed silent, that had been obvious, she was rarely drawn into the night this late to do something she was used to doing. "I own a secret of yours that you wish to keep from Olivia, you will be doing the same thing for me" his finger traced a strand of hair that fell across her cheek but before she could reply he was gone again. He slipped down one of the corridors that lead into the great expanse of space that was his apartment before returning with a large black duffle bag.

She eyed it with suspicion, waiting until he spoke before she showed any emotion.

"You look like you don't trust me" he teased, his arm straining under the weight of the bag in his grip.

"Nothing good ever comes out of a bag like that" Alex often had bags like that filling the trunk of his old car. Bags like that is why she was here and he was gone.

"You're not wrong" he replied without any humour in his tone. He placed it on the hardwood floor in front of her and a metallic clunk echoed through the room. Drew's eyes scanned her face for any signs of emotion as he waited for her to put the pieces together, but she gave nothing away.

"What's in it?" her voice was breathless and the smirk on his lips twisted once more.

"Olivia has helped me make good money over the years. she's done the same for you and Al, but you don't get an apartment like this running errands for someone else" his tongue ran along his bottom lip as he spoke, he found the hint of fear in her eyes delicious.