Am I Keeping You?

Mia had asked herself what she was doing multiple times on the drive to the club. Her boyfriend was at a bar with his ex and she had chosen to visit her work. She instantly felt regret but it didn't matter, the cab had pulled up outside and it was too late to change her mind. She grabbed a handful of cash from her purse and handed it to the driver and he thanked her for the tip as she exited onto the street.

It was a Tuesday night so the club was quiet, as she had expected. The line outside was short but she bypassed it anyway with a nod to the bouncer. Inside was quieter than usual so she found a spot at the bar quickly and easily.

"I didn't think you were working tonight" the bar man said when he recognised her.

"I'm not" she mumbled, and he took the hint pouring her a large drink which she sipped eagerly. One drink turned to two and then another again but she didn't feel any better. She wondered if Jake had noticed she had left yet. Most likely, she thought, and yet she hadn't heard her phone ring.

"Isn't it your night off?" A deep voice drawled from behind her, she spun in her seat to see Drew standing a few feet behind her. She rolled her eyes, he was the last person she wanted to see right now. She turned her back to him and drained her drink before ordering another.

"You're paying for that you know" he spoke again, clearly frustrated that she was ignoring him.

"We both know I'm not" she muttered under her breath "I put it on your tab anyway". Mia toyed with the empty glass before reaching for the fresh one and taking a large gulp. She heard the scrape of the bar stool beside her and saw Drew take a seat in her peripheral.

"Of course you did" he chuckled darkly "So I'm guessing you're not working" He asked again ordering a drink of his own.

"Obviously not" she motioned to her casual outfit.

"I don't know.. I reckon you could get what you wanted however you're dressed" a tinge of flirtation in his tone.

"Don't start" Her voice was meaner than she had wanted it to be "Sorry, I know you're trying to be nice, I just had a rough night" she glanced at her phone once again. No messages, no missed calls. Her shoulders slumped slightly and Drew took notice.

"Wanna talk about it?" Mia only shook her head in response.

"Wanna drink over it?" He asked a grin growing across his lips "like old times"

She paused, surely it wasn't a good plan but right now she didn't care "Sure" she responded with a small smile. Misery loved company.

Drew motioned to the bar man and a moment later a bottle of tequila was placed in front of them. Mia's eyes widened when she saw it before letting a small giggle leave her lips.

"Takes you back huh" he winked and she nodded "Remember Alex's 21st?"

"God, barely!" She filtered through the drunken flashbacks that filled her mind.

"You were so drunk" Drew cooed mocking.

"So were you!" She called back at him, hitting his arm. He raised his eyebrows slightly in acceptance.

"You're not wrong"

Mia felt her phone buzz in her pocket. She glanced for a second and saw that Jake was calling. Her stomach tightened at the thought of him in that bar with Amy and the many things she was most likely saying about her.

"Am I keeping you from someone?" He inquired his eyes flicking to her phone screen as she rejected the call.

"Not really" she mumbled.

"That's a lie" he smirked leaning in a little closer "that sounds like boy trouble to me" he could still read her like a book.

She rolled her eyes but didn't utter a reply.

"I'm right then."

"Why jealous?" She teased, studying his eyes. Drew fought to stifle his emotions and kept his face steady. He shrugged slightly and poured them both a shot.

"How much of this stuff did we drink that night?" she asked thinking back to her brother's birthday all those years ago.

"Enough for you to fall in love with me" he winked and she fought the smirk that rounded her lips.

"You wish Drew" they fell into a comfortable silence for a few minutes, but Mia was sure they were both thinking back to that night.

"How was Alex?.. I mean when you saw him" It had taken her a few drinks to work up the courage to ask like Drew knew it would.

"He was good, he misses you... a lot"

"I know" she took another sip before she spoke again 'I miss him too but it just makes me sad seeing him like that"

"I know" he echoed back "We used to have some fun though, the three of us?" Drew's eyes were almost wistful.

"God remember that shitty apartment me and Alex shared" she burst out laughing, the drink had mellowed her out too the point that was she was nearly beginning to enjoy herself. She thought back to the tiny studio with damp walls and drafty windows that she had once considered a home.

"God I loved that place" Drew laughed mostly to himself "I spent more time there than my own place, I wouldn't be caught dead there now"

"I walk past it sometimes" Mia mused.

"You really shouldn't that's a terrible neighbourhood" he replied sternly.

"Aww you worried about me?" she mocked and he let a smile escape his lips.

"No. Just worried about what Olivia would do to me if you didn't show up for work." They both knew it was a cover up but neither of them spoke further on the subject. "Remember the first time we met?"

Mia smiled to herself, the tequila had her feeling nostalgic, and she fought the blush on her cheeks. "Of course"

"God I thought you were so pretty" he laughed pouring them both another drink.

"Were?" She asked with a scrunched nose. Drew choked on a sip of his drink wiping the amber liquid that spilled from his lips.

"I'm not falling for that" he mumbled quietly. Mia raised her eyebrows slightly knowing she had got under his skin.

Her smiled slipped when she felt her phone buzz once more.

Jake
3 missed calls
4 texts

"You need to get that?"