Breaking the ice

Her heart was racing by the time she reached the bar. She knew her nerves were silly considering this was a man who she had slept with, but now she felt exposed. Very few people know the modestly dressed sober Mia.

Well sober-ish. She had allowed herself a small pick me up before she had left her apartment. She had insisted that they meet at the restaurant, she didn't need any questions about her living situation right now. Unsure of the dress code she had kept herself reasonably reserved but with a stylish flair. Her long maxi skirt had a flirtatious thigh high slit and her shirt was just low cut enough to be sexy but still modest. When she arrived she saw Jake already outside, her face broke into a subconscious grin when she saw him and butterflies began to flutter in her stomach once again.

"You look" he started stuttering slightly "beautiful" he grinned nervously.

"You don't look too bad yourself" she winked feeling more at ease as he took her hand leading her to a booth across from the bar. Jake bought the first round despite her insistence and she sipped it quickly to loosen her up.

"Strange how you have to break the ice after you've seen someone naked" Jake blurted out. Mia nearly spat her drink laughing. Well that worked he thought.

"I guess it's cause we don't really know much about each other"

"You're right" he smiled "I don't even know what you do for a living"

"I'm a club promoter, at Lost" he raised an eyebrow "I talk the place up on social media then I sit at the bar looking pretty and persuade guys to spend lots of money of expensive drinks."

"Is that what you did to me?" He asked only half joking.

"Of course not" she smiled placing a hand on his arm "You bought me a drink first, I didn't even have to try" he grinned feeling comfortable around her once more.

"I started after college to make some extra money and turns out I'm good at it. Now it's been a few years and I guess I haven't stopped. The party lifestyle will burn me out eventually." She smiled coyly.

"Wait" he paused mid swig slowly piecing together his thoughts "if you only left college a few years ago then you can't be older than..."

"Twenty six" she answered for him "well I will be next month so twenty five for now"

Jake's mouth fell open in an uneasy grin as he tried to get out his nexts words.

"It's okay" she smirked "I guessed you hadn't realised, you never asked and most people tend to think I'm a little older. I know you're older than me and I don't mind. It's actually nice seeing an older guy, it's sexy" she winked "plus it makes me feel like you might have your life a bit more together then the usual guys I date"

"Ah" Jake started "I wouldn't say I have my life together. I'm a 38 year old divorcee, living in a tiny apartment in Brooklyn"

"You're a handsome detective in the NYP, combating crime in one of the most violent cities in the world. It sounds pretty badass to me."

This made Jake smile

The next hour or so flew by as the slipped from various topics of conversations. Mia hadn't let her guard down like this in years and it was a welcoming feeling.

As the night grew on Jake suggested a different bar, a regular haunt of his, closer to his apartment. Mia happily agreed following him out of the bar and onto the street. In the time they had spent wrapped up in on another, rain had begun to fall filling the street with growing puddles.

"Shit" Mia groaned realising her mistake of not bringing a jacket. Jake only smiled taking his off and wrapping around her shivering shoulders and covering her head. He assured her that the bar was only a few blocks away as they half walked half ran down the street dodging puddles as Jake lead her by the hand. By the time they arrived at the bar entrance Jake's hair was dripping wet.

"You're soaked!" She said solemnly pushing his wet locks out of his face.

"I'll dry off" his goofy grin warmed her heart making her lean in to kiss him firmly on the lips. She looked up and read the sign.

Shaw's

She didn't recognise the name.

"I come here a lot, it's really kind of a cop bar" Jake said passively while holding the door for her to walk through.

Mia's body tightened and she felt all the moisture in her mouth evaporate. Attempting to keep her cool she grinned as she walked into the dimly lit dive bar. The place was reasonably busy, a few scattered tables full of people dressed in regular clothes. She spotted a couple uniformed officers in the back but she tried to ignore them, feeling herself camouflaged next to Jake.

Once they were sat down again Mia built her nerve to ask him something.

"So... What made you decide to be a cop? And don't say Die Hard"

Jake took a large gulp of his beer before piercing together his answer.

"Guess I always wanted to help people and this seemed like the best way. That's what my Mom says anyway, my Dad was always a bit of an asshole when I was younger so I grew up protecting her and I guess it's what I'm best at." He pulled a coy smile and Mia couldn't help but feel her heart warm.

"So you're close with your family?"

"My Mom yeah, my dad not so much. He cheated on her all the time when I was a kid, but now they're back together so we're getting some sort of relationship back. I feel like I'm talking about myself too much, what about you?"

She took a sip thinking of an answer.

"My... family is complicated"

Jake only nodded as he waited for her to elaborate. She took another sip and thought of what to say. Eventually landing on something close to the truth.

"I have an older brother. He lives upstate. We both don't talk to my mom. He got kicked out when I was in high school and after I finished college I wasn't welcome back home so we haven't spoke since. I still see him every now and then, when I can."

His eyebrows raised slightly as he took in her story.

"I'm sorry.."

"It's fine, I did alright on my own" she half laughed "I mean I don't wanna work in a club the rest of my life but I don't really know what I want to do either"

"You have time, god I wish I appreciated how much time I actually had when I was your age... that must make me sound so old."

Mia smiled a goofy grin taking his hand and squeezing it tight.

"Yeah but you're cute."

When they let go she noticed the tell tale shakes of her fingers and fought the niggling itch in her brain.

Breathe Mia. She thought and pushed her finger nails onto her palm desperate to quell the tremors.