Drew

The weeks that followed were the usual blur of bliss that comes from a budding romance. Their work schedules made life a little more difficult but they made it work. The short hours between the end of Jake's shift and the start of Mia's were their only real-time together. But more often than not he heard the gentle click of his spare key unlocking the door late at night, followed by Mia quietly crawling in beside him.

Mia had found work more draining than usual. The thrill of the club seemed dull when compared to spending a simple night alone with Jake. She had made him swear not to visit her at work but there had been near misses. The possibility of worlds colliding was a risk she wasn't willing to take. She formulated a story about how customers didn't like to see a club promoter with a boyfriend, which wasn't a complete lie. Drunk men were her marks and they were only interested in women that acted like they wanted them.

Unfortunately, drunk men also struggled to keep their hands to themselves. Tonight was worse than usual, she tried to keep her composure despite customers testing her limits. After one guy had attempted to slip his hand up her dress for the third time she finally snapped. The urge to punch him was overwhelming but she fought against it, grabbing her purse and heading behind the bar. There was a small door that lead to an alley behind the club, in need of some air she disappeared through it. The cool night was refreshing as it hit her chest but sent a shiver across her skin none the less. She leant against the concrete wall and took a deep breath calming her nerves and wrapping her arms around her to keep warm.

"Shouldn't you be working?" A vicious voice snarled. She looked up to see Ronny, one of the faceless thugs that hung around this place under the guise of security. He was followed in tow by another goon who eyed her up and down like a piece of meat.

"I'll work when you idiots get those creeps out of here" she spat back but they only chuckled in return. They smelt of cheap beer and a thick cloud of cigarette smoke followed them as they walked closer.

"Excuses" he grunted "I'm sure you would hate for me to pass on this little scene to Olivia"

She stared him down not letting them see her sweat. The threat of Olivia was always imminent, if she had an inkling you were underperforming it could result in serious complications.

"Since when did Olivia listen to you?" She grumbled, a glimmer shone in his eyes as his jaw tightened. She jumped when he slammed his fist into the wall beside her head.

"Listen you little bit-" before he could finish a voice cut through the air.

"Ronny" a voice roared behind him, it wasn't the volume but the tone that gave it the strength to cut through the air. All three of them turned to see a tall figure heading from the bar's back office.  "Maybe you should spend less time bothering this lady and more time getting rid of the jerks harassing our customers" his voice was low but tough and Ronny took notice.

"Sure thing boss" he grumbled, his jaw still tight. He shot her a dark, angry look running his hand through his cropped red hair. They both headed back to the bar leaving Mia alone with this new figure. He walked towards her slowly until his face was no longer silhouetted.

"Nice to see you Mia" he smirked.

"Drew?" she asked letting a hint of sourness escape her tone "what are you doing here? I thought you were too big league for this place" she finished cooly.

"Olivia has me working security, seems like there's been a few cops hanging around and I have to keep those animals in line" he stood uncomfortably close to her and if it was anyone else she would have been scared. He was tall and muscular with a short back and side haircut and a small scar between his right eye and temple.

"I could've handled it" she muttered but he only raised his brows. The tension between them was uncomfortable as she looked for a reason to leave. "Well I have work to do" she said curtly, turning to leave but he held her arm firmly keeping her in place.

"Woah, don't fancy a catch up?" He asked, pushing a strand of hair behind her ear, she recoiled slightly as he did.

"I have no interest in catching up with any of my scumbag exes, least of all you" she narrowed her eyes but he only smirked. He loved to toy with her.

"Maybe you should have better taste in guys" He leant closer again but she pulled back rolling her eyes. She went to turn once more but he caught her in a trap of words keeping her put.

"I saw your brother last week, he asked how you were. I said you'd been avoiding me" her pulse quickened as she tried to hold her anger.

"Don't talk to him about me."

He only chuckled.

"Well if you visited he wouldn't ask"

"I've been busy" they both knew that was a lie. The truth was she couldn't face him too often, the thought alone made her squeamish. He didn't press further, he knew he had gotten under her skin but she wouldn't rise. She knew how to push his buttons just as much as he did.

"Were you working that night?" He asked changing the subject completely "the night with the cops that is"

"Yes, but I didn't see anyone, it was a busy night nothing unusual" she replied confidently.

"Did you leave early?" He already knew the answer he just wanted to test her.

"Yes, I wasn't feeling too hot and was a bit burnt out I needed a night off, I saw Olivia the next day, she knows all about it" it wasn't completely false, but she hoped it would carry her through. Drew's light steely blue eyes were piercing through her as she spoke. She made sure to hold his gaze as he scanned her for any hint of a lie. After a moment or so his lips bent into a small smirk.

"A couple of the bar guys thought you left with someone, guess they were wrong" she kept strong refusing to let her eyes flicker for a second "Unless you have a secret boyfriend you're not telling me about"

"Why you jealous?" She smirked, playing him for once. Drew just shrugged, he shifted his weight on his back foot and it was only then she realised how little space had been left between them.

"Guess the bar tender was wrong, I'll be sure to let Olivia know, but don't worry I'll be around to keep an eye out for if they come back. Oh and if those guys give you any more problems, I'm always here" he motioned his head to the bar.

"The customers or Ronny" she mumbled mostly to herself.

"Both" he called back, his voice was like steel. He walked away but stopped a few steps short from the office door taking one last look over his shoulder "by the way, nice dress"

-------------------------------------------------------

This has been so fun to write so far so I'm hoping its as fun to read, wondering what people think of Mia, is she likeable or do you not trust her? Anyway thanks to everyone who has spent time reading so far! I have a lot more twists and turns to come so keep your eyes peeled.