Chapter 6|Futile Attempts

Archilles, Odysseus and Ajax had reached Troy. They were still aboard the ship when the captain anchored the vessel exclaiming, "It's marshes up ahead! You'll will have to take the boat to dry land."

"Alright." Groaned Archilles as the three of them got into a life boat which was lowered into the water by the sailors.

The oarsmen rowed the boat across the muddy water which had thickened like moss across the water. Most of the slush was pure silt and it took more effort for the men to row before they reached the shore.

Getting off on the sandy white beach, they walked towards the fortified city of Troy. The walls were tremendously massive and dense, breaking them using mere logs of wood was a foolish task.

Troy was situated to the northwest of Turkey, present day known as Hisarlik. This city-state was known for its trade with Kemet (Egypt), with Assuwa (Asia) and with Anatolia (Asia Minor).

Troy was strategically located near the Sea of Marmara which was connected to the Aegean Sea via the thin narrow strait of Dardanelles and the Black Sea with the strait of Bosporus.

The huge gates were made of bronze and spiked to skewer the enemies

The huge gates were made of bronze and spiked to skewer the enemies. The gates were opened and the three men walked into the city.

It was noisy, bustling and bursting with activity. The Agora's were filled with various shops of not only groceries, but also silks and expensive imported goods and spices.

The women in Troy adorned themselves in much more gold than the rest of the Achaean's. The whole city-state oozed richness and grandeur. Even the simple commoners had at least one gold ornament on themselves.

The three men were led to the palace which was situated on a risen cliff. The huge palace overlooked the rest of the city from the main balcony.

Although the palace was grand, with well laid mosaics on the floor braightly painted and designed walls; the three warriors payed no heed to it.

They walked straight into the throne room and greeted King Priam and Queen Hecuba.

"What brings mighty Archilles to my land?" Asked King Priam in his soft voice.