24

The final button slipped into place and I tugged at the bottom of my shirt. It hung even, parrots and flowers glaring back at me from the mirror. Golden and silver bracelets sat on the stand beside me, while my chiton draped over a chair. I ran my hand through my hair, eyes moving to the tiara. As much as she hated it, Percy would wear it later.

"Don't tell me you're still pining over that mortal," Amphitrite said. I looked at her, eyes narrowed into a glare.

"The tiara is Percy's now." 

"Ah, so you are still pining." 

"Amphitrite."

She waved a hand. "You can't tell me that the sudden interest in Perseus isn't linked to what happened to her mother. Focusing on the product of your affair is really no different than sitting their thinking wistfully back on the times you've cheated on me."

"I'm going to go find Percy," I said. Amphitrite didn't say a word, and I left the tension laden water behind. I shoved my hands into my pockets, strolling through the halls. My heart beat in my throat with ever moment I didn't see Percy. She couldn't have left the palace. I updated the enchantments after her stunt. My fingers twitched, itching for my trident. 

In a nearby room, something crashed to the ground. I frowned. No one-

"Get- Get off of me!" The cry broke through the stone walls, muffled but very much audible and recognizable. I pushed the already cracked door open, allowing even more noises to float into the hallway.

"You know you-"

"What do you think you're doing?" I stepped into the room. Pinned to the wall by a nobleman, Percy whimpered. Her chiton hung ripped open, the peronai dangling broken from the fabric, exposing part of her bra to the water. Even from where I stood, I could see the pale marks littering her neck and collar.

The man stiffened and moved back. Fabric draped back down over Percy's legs. "My-my lord! I thought you were-"

"Taking lunch in my quarters? Yes, I am. With my daughter." Venom soaked through my carefully held facade, only to be held in check by the reminder that my daughter, in fact, lives on the surface where my fury would no doubt wreck havoc upon. "Triton." No annoyed son popped up next to me, and I repeated, "Triton." 

"What?" he groaned, appearing next to me. "I was in the middle of-" His words stopped as his eyes locked onto Percy, who pressed herself against the wall, trying to disappear. He looked at the noble. "Can I murder? I feel like I should be allowed to murder." Before I could answer in the affirmative, Triton darted forward. His tails slammed into the man, knocking him hard into the nearby table. He wrapped a hand around Percy's wrist and shoved her towards me. As soon as she was within reach, I wrapped an arm around her. I didn't comment as she clung to me. Part of that was from not knowing what to say, and the other part was from not being sure it would be anything other than a curse. 

Triton vanished along with the noble, leaving me to stand with Percy. I...

"I'm going to pick you up now, okay sweet-" Her nails dug into my side. "Okay. I won't pick you up. Do you want to walk?" No response. I carded my fingers through her hair. "Sweetheart?" That only made her dig her nails in harder. I narrowed my eyes. Did that bastard seriously pervert Percy's pet name? "Percy, I'm going to take you back to my room." The lack of response wasn't what I wanted, but I supposed it was better than having her try to stab me with only her fingers. With a little prodding, Percy walked alongside me. The hallways were, thankfully, empty. The longer we walked, the more she trembled. Bad, but also good in a way.

I pushed the door to my room open. Amphitrite sat on the bed where I had left her, only now she was waving her hands in the water, purple polish on her nails. "Get me some ice and a towel. Maybe some alcohol or nectar. I don't really care which." Without question, she got up. I sat Percy in the spot she vacated. I tapped Percy's head. "Okay, look at me."