21

I sighed and rested my head against the counter. Another sleepless night, what else was new? Definitely not the fact I was trying to make myself pass out by drinking an entire pot of coffee. As usual, it wasn't working. I reached for the pot to pour myself another cup, but it was levitated out of my reach.

"There's no way it's healthy for a human to drink that much caffeine."

"Who said I wasn't looking for the sweet release of death?" I said, offering Megan a soft smile so she wouldn't think I was being serious. I do not need to deal with another therapist. "Now gimme." I made grabby hands at the coffee pot.

"Uh, Percy?" Artemis walked into the room. I turned to look at her. Her expression was puzzled, if not outright confused. "Aquaman's here and he's talking to some guy in a Hawaiian shirt. I've never seen him before- Why are you hitting your head on the counter?"

"That man," I said, voice as stable as I could make it. "Is my father."

"Do you not like him or-?"

"It depends on the day." The air seemed to change, and a weight lifted off of my shoulders. I huffed in displeasure. Why can't I keep my own body from doing this? No matter how much he might annoy me or how upset I'll get at him, that stupid aura that follows him around makes it hard to not feel at ease. I mean there are exceptions to that, but that's mainly for when I'm on Olympus. Even against the twin Giants, I wasn't buzzing with adrenaline. 

"Hi, sweetheart." Dad's voice hit my ears.

"What are you doing here?" Despite the smile plastered on my face, my voice betrayed every other emotion I was feeling. I turned around only to be met with the pained expression on his face. He quickly shook it, though it was really weird that his expression faltered in the first place.

"I was talking with your uncle, and he thought it might be a good idea for you to come spend some time with me."

"He, or you?"

"Can you blame me for wanting you to get along with the rest of the family?"

"Dad, no offense, but most of your kids have either tried to kill me or threatened to do it. And I'm not entirely sure how you wife hasn't killed me yet, I mean it's not like I'm the result of an affair or anything." I shrugged. "If I don't like them, I usually have a reason."

"Think about it this way, you have a way to get away from anyone who might be bothering you here." Dad's eyes flicked to Kaldur. 

"I am under orders to protect her, so if she goes anywhere then-" Kaldur cut off when Dad snorted.

"Boy, if there is anyone in this world that Sally would trust to keep Percy safe, it's me." Oh, it was so hard not to laugh at the irony. "The only harm that could potentially come to her is if she eats too many sweets."

"So did my dearest older brother decide to stop trying to murder me?"

"You're still alive, aren't you? Besides, he doesn't particularly feel like getting grounded or going to jail." Dad waved his hand. "Come on, your brother leaves on a trip at the end of the day. It would be nice if we could have a family dinner without a dish flying for once." 

"He was the one who threw it. I just deflected it, it's not my fault it hit that guy!'

Booming laughter broke from Dad's chest. He walked over, oblivious of the guarded looks he received from the Team. A calloused hand rested on top of my head. He ruffled my hair. Without hesitation, he pulled me into a tight hug. I squeaked at the sudden movement before relaxing into the embrace. As much as I didn't want to, a piece in the back of my mind told me to enjoy it. To take advantage of this while Dad still wanted me around, to enjoy it before he got tired of me and treated me the same way all the other gods treat their kids.

"How did you meet Percy's mom?" Artemis asked out of nowhere.

Dad patted my back before answering. "I might not look it, but I'm actually Atlantean myself. And-"

"Dad, I don't care how much stronger you are than me. If you do this to me, I'm going to punch you." I mumbled. Memories flooded my mind of the last time I heard this whole thing. Granted is was from Mom, but given the fact that she tends to water things down that means this version would probably be infinitely worse. My words made his chest rumbled with could only be quiet laughter. 

"I met her mother while we were both on the surface, though Percy was born in Poseidonis so she could have a claim to the throne."

"Which ends up with me having to fill out a crap ton of paperwork every time we need to prove I'm allowed in America."

"That's because you don't act like royalty, sweetheart." 

"And who's fault is that?" I shot back pulling out of the hug. "Do I need to pack a bag or are you just stealing me for the day?"

"I already have some of your stuff. Paul sent it to me. Besides, you're going to immediately raid your brother's closet to make him mad. Don't say you aren't because I know you."

I grinned and shoved my hands into my pockets. I offered Riptide to Dad. "You might want to keep any sharp objects away from me. I doubt you want him losing a limb."

Dad slipped Riptide into a pocket. "Good idea. I'll send updates if she gets in trouble, but Orm is having a guard detail patrol one of the more dangerous areas around where I live. Not that anyone's stupid enough to attack the city, but-"

"Your uncle?" I said. 

Dad rolled his eyes affectionately. "There are exceptions to everything, Percy. Come on, before someone gets themself in trouble."

You know, I was gonna wait. but i got this done and everyone knows I have zero self-control. Also, since most people have said they might read the DnD book (when I finally get the first chapter done. I have regrets) I thought I'd show you a pic I drew of the initial characters.

 I have regrets) I thought I'd show you a pic I drew of the initial characters

Birbs are hard to draw.

Anyway, next is gonna be some good ol' fashioned family bonding.

See yah