15

I leaned against the wall, trying to steady my breathing. Pain pulsed through my veins. I groaned. I need to keep this under control. I don't need to destroy this place.

"Percy, are you- Wow, you look like crap." Wally said.

"Thanks," I mumbled. "It's the pain."

"Did you get hurt during the-"

"Can you call my uncles? Tell them to get my dad." I gasped, sliding down the wall. I could hear the pipes groaning. "Hurry."

Wally rushed away. I curled up on myself, trying to fight my own powers. That was a million times harder than anything else I've done. The sea doesn't like being restrained, so when my powers want to lash out at something, it doesn't end well when I try to stop them.

I don't know how long I was laying there; it was hard to keep track of time with the strain I was putting on myself. I was half tempted to let my powers run free, to do what they wanted, but that wouldn't be fair to the Team. It's not their fault.

"Percy," Orin said. His feet didn't make much sound on the floor, but I threw my hand up.

"Stay back." My words were mangled, choked out through my pain. "Please. I don't want to hurt you."

"What's wrong?"

"Where's my dad?"

"I couldn't reach him."

I groaned. "Dammit. Did you try my brothers?"

"No answer from them either, I am afraid," Orm said. I lifted my head enough to look at him. I weighed the risks in my mind.

"Do- do you guys remember how I lost control of my powers when I was fourteen? Do you remember how we got them under control?"

"We are not knocking you out." Orin crossed his arms.

"It's either that or me destroying this place. I can't hold them back much longer." As if to prove my point, another wave of pain washed through me. It was all I could do to keep myself from screaming.

Orm knelt down in front of me. "I could try to channel some of the power away from you. That might work."

"It could also kill you. I can't take that-"

"If we don't do something, it will kill you. Give me your hands."

I didn't get a choice. Orm grabbed my hands and closed his eyes. The strain on my body lessened, but he grimaced; parts of his skin started glowing.

"Orm, you cannot strain yourself like this. Your skin icons are already lighting," Orin said.

"I can handle this for the time being. Try to reach her father again, or General Tyson. I do not doubt her powers would calm around him."

Orin nodded and hurried away. Orm shifted me so I was leaning into his side. His grip held fast as I tried to pull my hands away.

"You could die, Orm!"

"So could you if you keep turning your powers in on yourself. We will need to get you in some water after this." He tightened his grip on my hands and his skin icons brightened. "If Orin would have brought the trident with him-"

"That would only make this worse. It amplifies power, especially mine."

"My prince, may I be of assistance?" Kaldur asked, walking into the hallway. Orm looked at me. My eyes widened and I shook my head.

"Don't you dare."

Regardless of what I said, Orm released one of my hands. Instantly all of the power he had been pulling away from me shot back. Once again, the pipes groaned. Orm grabbed Kaldur's hand and directed him to take my other. Even as Orm tried to get a grip on my powers, trying to pull them into the channel, I kept them turned inward on myself.

"Percy, you need to let us help you."

"Channeling this didn't work when I was fourteen, and that was with Orin and Mera. And I was a lot weaker then. I'm not letting the two of you get hurt because of this."

"What exactly is happening, my prince?" Kaldur asked.

Orm sighed and released my hand. "Do you remember what you were-"

"Sorry I'm late. I was helping at the forges."

My head whipped so I was staring at Triton. He walked over and knelt in front of me. I didn't fight him as he took my hands. In an instant, the pain was gone. A loud sigh passed through my lips and I collapsed against him.

"You held out longer than I thought you could," he mumbled. He ran his fingers through my hair. "I'll take her back to her room. Where is it? Thank you, your Royal Highness." Triton stood and carried me into my room. He dropped me onto my bed, groaned, and flopped down beside me. "I hate having to pretend."

"You're the one who told Dad it would be best to keep it a secret."

"Doesn't make it any better."

"So I'm guessing you're in a good mood today since you haven't threatened to kill me yet."

Triton laughed. "Sure. If that's what you want to believe, go for it. Actually...Percy, what did you say to Dad?"

"Hm?" I sat up slightly. "What do you mean?"

"He's been, well, pissy is the easiest way to describe it. It started after you spent the night, so what in our uncle's domain did you say to him?"

"I may or may not have, and I have no idea if this is why, told him that I don't love him."

Triton stared at me with wide eyes. "You are an idiot! If I hadn't been threatened with mortality, I would be throttling you right now."

Well, that explains why he's being a decent person right now. I sat all the way up and looked at my hands. I pulled up my sleeve and stared at the scar circling my wrist, at the legion tattoo. My gaze rose to meet Triton's.

"We lead two completely different lives." I lifted my hands between us. "You're a herald. I'm a princess." I hoped he knew what I meant by that. When you live with a guy with superhearing having private conversations gets forty times harder. "I have my position because of my mom. You have yours because of your parents. We live in two completely different worlds. I never got to know Dad growing up, you did. I like going to him, I like having a parent, but...I don't love him. It's hard to explain, but when you have to deal with all of the rumors and backlash because of him, it makes it hard to love him."

Yay! Chapter!

I'm gonna eat some of my pie and type more chapters!

Yay! *runs into wall* ow.

Bad thing is, I'll probably walk into at least three walls now

See yah