20

The water around me was cold, much cooler than the surface water, warmed by the sun. I didn't mind being in this part, along the soft sand, silt, rocks, and shells. There was nothing for me to dislike. My entire existence is owed to the sea.Thanks a fucking lot, Dad, so it's not too weird that I enjoy being in water. 

I stretched and my shirt rode up, exposing my stomach to the water. Did I care? Nope. 

Did Kaldur care? Yep.

Did he randomly appear out of nowhere to comment on it? Also yes.

I sighed. "You'd think you'd learn to leave me alone," I said, not opening my eyes. A current swirled to life, parting around me like I was a rock in a stream. Even without looking I could tell it stirred up enough silt to obscure me from Kaldur's view. If I wanted to, I could've disappeared. He wouldn't have been able to find me. No one would, except Dad or another sea god. Well, or a monster, but I've resigned myself to a life of constantly running from them. 

My palms pressed into my eyes. Colors danced in the darkness. I took a deep breath. In, hold, out. Repeat. Don't lose you temper. Don't snap at him. Don't get yelled at again. My life on the surface has become as restricting as my life in the palace. 

"Your Highness-"

"I'm going to go read or practice or shamelessly rip off water-bending moves from Avatar." I rose quickly to the surface. I didn't know if Kaldur would follow, or if he was even capable of following me without getting the bends. I could probably ask Orin or Orm about that, but it's not important enough to warrant making them wonder why I'm asking. 

Water streamed off of me, slicking my hair to my head. A brief sigh broke past my lips before a simple thought rose to my mind: they know I can control water. It was still weird, no matter how often I used it in front of them, to let mortals see my powers without the Mist affecting it. Sand squished between my toes, and I kept a small sphere of water with me. I paused before entering the Cave in order to wash off all of the sand. Honestly, how isn't Zeus a god of sand?

He's annoying enough for it.

"Hey, Percy." Robin grinned at me. "Where's Kaldur? I thought he was out there with you."

"Yeah, after completely disregarding me saying that I wanted to be left alone. If I wanted that, I'd go visit my dad's side of the family." I ran a hand through my hair. My hair caught around my fingers and I tugged them through. "Where's everyone else?"

Robin grinned and sang, "Mandatory counseling. Which I don't have to go to cause I already had mine." He started cackling. Okaaaaay. Like any sane person, I walked away.

The Cave was oddly quiet, even the library. It was like the place was uninhabited. No sounds no movement, aside from any I caused. Slipping into the library, I didn't know what to expect. I didn't come in here often enough to. Sure, a few books lying around in a private library might be normal, but nothing like what I saw sitting in front of me. 

Every single book on Atlantean history was off the shelves, all bookmarked to various pages. I flipped one open. 

The Complete Genealogy of The Poseidonis Royal Family

Name after name lined the page. My fingers traced the letters and line, leading from the ancient King Orin all the way down to Queen Atlanna. There things became tricky. All three of her children were listed of being the king's. Only one was. Going even further down and I was listed. 

BASTARD

That was what was written right next to my name, in . I was the only one in the entire family with that written. Even my mom and Orin didn't have that, despite being born out of an affair themselves. I sighed and closed the book. I flopped down into a chair, a hand resting over my face. 

And like always, the door had to open and Kaldur just had to bother me.

"Your-"

"Don't," I said. "I should be used to this by now."

"There is nothing wrong with being an illegitimate child."

"Sure, tell that to the people who whisper about me behind my back, the people who say I have no right to be considered the heir apparent. Oh, how about you tell that to the people who constantly told me 'Your dad didn't want someone as useless as you. You're the reason he left. He found out your mom was pregnant and didn't want to deal with his mistake.' But yeah, there's nothing wrong about being a bastard when you're royalty."

"Your father doesn't think of you as a mistake."

You know what? That actually made me laugh. A harsh barked sound that ended with me scrubbing at my eyes. "You have no idea what he thinks of me. The first time I met him, he said he wished I hadn't been born. Does that really make you think he doesn't think of me as a mistake? The man I owe half of my existence to, looked at me when I was twelve and told me I should have never been born, that he made a mistake by sleeping with my mother. And now I'm stuck living a life I hate, because I cannot abdicate. I physically can't. Atlantean law doesn't allow for that. I'm stuck playing the role of the perfect princess until I either become queen or die. My bets are on death happening first honestly."

"And you question the reason the king wishes for me to watch over you."

"Tch." My body rose from the seat as if by puppet strings. I shoved my hands in my pockets. "I didn't need a guard before. I don't need one now."

This is........*drumroll please*

crap.

Any ideas for the next chapter?

I am tired, hungry, and very much touch starved. YAY BEING THREE HOURS AWAY FROM HOME FOR THE NEXT TWO MONTHS IN THE MIDDLE OF A PANDEMIC

Also, man. 2020 is almost over.

let's just hope next year isn't just as wild

So friendly reminders: Sleep, eat, and don't go into electrical.

See yah