Part 33

Ukai

~"LEAVE ME ALONE! I DON'T NEED YOUR HELP! I'LL BE JUST FINE ON MY OWN!!"
"My dear boy you are hurt, your body is weak and you need to eat... Let me help~"
"NO!! Just... go away... I don't, want your pity... I CAN TAKE CARE OF MYSELF"~

"Ukai?"

"Hmm?"

"Are you, ok?"

I turned my gaze from the village below me to look at my sister as she spoke.

"Yes, why do you ask?" I ask, standing straight against the rail of our balcony.

"You just seem off since you got back from your mission... Did everything go ok?" Sarada asked leaning on the rail with me.

"It was easy, nothing two experienced ANBU couldn't handle," I answer.

"I mean, did something happen to... I don't know, upset you or something? You just seem so in the clouds," Sarada explained her concern.

"Hmm..." I breathed a chuckle.

"How observant of you," I teased her and ruffed her hair.

"I'm serious!" She swatted my hand away.

"Why do you always avoid talking about your feelings?" She pushed.

"..." I watched her with a blank expression.

"I want to know what happened to you! But mom says to give you time, that it might be a sore spot but I'm your sister!" Sarada looked up at me with hopeful eyes.

"I want to get to know my brother!"

"Enough Sarada," I silenced her calmly, which I think might have scared her more than if I had shouted.

"I don't... and probably never will... want to discuss my past..." I said plainly, shocking her.

"Not even with you..."

"Now don't you have a mission to report to?" I tilted my head pointedly at her. 

Sarada shook her head, turning and angrily walking back into the house, grabbing her forehead protector before she slammed the front door as she left. I sighed, running a hand through my long hair as I walked back into the house, leaving the apartment and heading for the streets.

'I'm sorry Sarada... But that piece of my life is something you don't need to bear,' I think as I place my hands in my pockets and walk.

It was another normal boring day in Konoha, people were walking around looking at shops, chatting with friends. I feel so out of place... I'm too on guard, too tightly wound for this kind of life...

"Ukai!" I pause my walking and turned to face my caller. 

"Kazane."

"Hey, how are you doing?" She slowed her jog and stopped in front of me, smiling nervously. 

"I should ask you that... How is your arm?" I deflect. 

"Oh it's fine, the nurses said the treatment you gave me saved it from infection, but it's fully healed now," She smiled, showing me the unscared skin of her upper arm. 

"I'm glad. Now if you'll excuse me," I bow, turning to walk away when she stopped me again. 

"Wait, that wasn't the only thing I wanted to talk to you about," She added. 

I turned to face her again, waiting for the rest. 

"I just saw Lord Hokage, he told me one of the spies in the small village just off the north reported seeing people in cloaks and owl masks a few days ago, headed this way." She told me, her face turning serious.