Part 1

"Come on baby... please don't do this to me now..." I gritted my teeth together as I jerked the car keys in the ignition, praying that the car would start up again.

I had been on my way home from university, heading from Liverpool back up the peninsula to visit with my parents in Southport. My aged car had made the trip down with little to no problems, but it just had to be during a heavy rain storm that my car would sputter and struggle with life before eventually conking out on the side of the road somewhere in the middle of  Sea View. I blamed myself partially for this - if only I had stopped at one of the motels in town once the rain started, maybe I wouldn't have been in this predicament. 

Oh, well.

I grunted as the car let out one last painful sputter before completely going silent. I hit my hands against the wheel, moaning in defeat. The car had died and there was no one else around. I reached into my purse, pulling my phone out in hopes of calling for help - maybe a tow truck or my parents.

No bars, meaning no signal. I was in roaming.

Can this day get any worse?

I leaned my head back against the headrest, my heart pumping loudly in my ears. I was trying to remain calm, even though I was beginning to feel the strings of panic rising from somewhere in the pit of my stomach. I pressed my hands to my head, closing my eyes and willing for something, anything, to happen.

"Did you remember the road map, Kylie?" Mum's voice came through like a beacon, "If you get lost, use the map to guide you home. It's helped me on numerous occasions..."

Mum was always insisting I take some sort of updated road map, just in case trouble ever crossed my path. I moved quickly, opening the compartment on the passenger side of my deceased vehicle. The road map was still in the wrapping, unused. I pulled it out and ripped the packaging open, spreading the map open before me.

I was somewhere outside the skirts of Sea View, along the A565. The map indicated that there may be a hotel about a quarter mile from where I was currently - meaning that there were people around. Perhaps I'd get lucky and be able to get a hold of a tow truck at a home along the way or the hotel. Whichever came first.

I pulled my jacket around my body, preparing for the onslaught of rain that I would have to travel through, and grabbed my bag and the map.

The car was going to have to sit and struggle for a bit until I came back with the tower.

***

It was quite nerve-wracking as I pushed myself forward through the heavy downpour. All that surrounded me was trees and the road. There were no houses, nor even any vehicles out. But with this weather, I couldn't be too surprised.

As the rain pounded down on my soaked body, lights made their appearance in the distance. I trudged further, moving as quickly as I could toward them.

A gate came into view, as well as a towering building that looked like a mansion. I stopped briefly at the stone wall entrance, taking notice of the plaquette embedded in the wall.

Sea View Hotel
Proprietor
Jimmy Hall
Licensed to Sell Beers and Spirits
Est. 1920

Water from the rain dripped into my eyes, reminding me to get into the building before I caught something.

Reaching the building, I pushed the door open, water flowing like a stream from my jacket onto the carpeted flooring. My soaked shoes squeaked as I walked toward the reception desk, the silence of the hotel a bit too eerie.