Part 9

Jimmy had stayed in the arcade for about an hour before Mrs. Hall had come into the room, followed by a very angry Amy Bell.

During the hour leading up to the confrontation, my feet guided my body as if they were wanting me to see every side from Jimmy's point of view. After one game, his entire demeanor switched back - a look of confusion on his face. His hand delved into his pocket again, pulling out Amy's coin purse before rushing to the lift as I followed close behind. I had half-hoped that he was intending on going back down to the lower ground and getting Amy out as well as apologize to her and give her back what he had taken. However, he rode up to the second floor.

Walking quickly, and passing a few people in the process, Jimmy stopped outside of Room 225 and knocked on the door.

Mr. Bell, Amy's father, opened the door, "Yes? Can I help you?"

"I'm sorry to bother you, sir," Jimmy's voice was small, but polite, "but I was wondering if Amy had come up here at all?"

I was a bit taken back. Did he not remember that he had locked Amy in the basement? And if so, what was he planning on doing to her family?

"I thought Amy was with you in the arcade," Mr. Bell answered.

"She was. I was so focused on my game that I didn't see her sneak out," he held up the now empty purse to him, "I found this in my pocket, I think she may have asked me to hang onto it for her. But, I don't know where she went, so I thought I'd bring it up here to see if she came back."

"Well, I must say I appreciate it, sonny," Mr. Bell took the offered coin purse from Jimmy's hand, "I'll make sure Amy gets it back."

"Thank you, sir," Jimmy smiled and turned back to the lift.

It was shortly after returning to the arcade that Mrs. Hall had made her appearance, a look of concern on her features, "Jimmy?"

I watched as Jimmy turned to face his mother, surprised and relieved to see Amy standing behind her.

"Mum! You found Amy!" he smiled.

Mrs. Hall's arms were crossed over her chest, brows furrowed, "Jimmy, did you lock Amy in the boiler room down in the lower parts of the hotel?"

"What? No!" Jimmy's eyes had widened to the size of dinner plates, "I don't even like going down there!"

"Liar!" Amy shouted back, "You locked me down there! You even stole my purse!"

"No I didn't! I gave it to your dad! Honest!"

Mrs. Hall looked between the two children, eyeing them both, "Alright you two, I've had enough of this. Amy, I think it would be best for you to go back to your room. I'll discuss everything with your parents tonight while they're eating."

Amy nodded, glaring at Jimmy before leaving the room, obviously trying to hold back tears from the terror she no doubt saw while trapped in the lower level.

Mrs. Hall turned to Jimmy, "As for you Jimmy, I think it would be best if you went to your own room and stay there until supper. I don't know why you thought it was funny to do such a dirty trick like that, but that was cruel."

"But, mum..."

"No buts, Jimmy. Go upstairs. Now."

Jimmy hung his head and left as the vision before me faded to black.

***

Lights blazed above me. I shielded my eyes as the lights dimmed again and I found myself standing on the second floor in an empty hallway.