Part 5

When I returned to the ground floor, Mr. Hall was already at the reception desk, preparing for what I supposed would be a normal day at the Sea View Hotel.

He had donned his black bowler hat once again, covering the bald top part of his head, and had swapped his red patterned vest for a deep sapphire one. Other than for the change in vest, Mr. Hall was still dressed the same - a clean white dress shirt with a black bowtie, black dress pants, and black dress shoes.

As I approached, he looked up in my direction, the smile he gave me was a bit more comforting, unlike the one he had given me last night, "Ah! Good morning, Miss Martin."

"Good morning, Mr. Hall," I smiled, trying to be polite, "Here is your key to room 110. Thank you again for your hospitality."

"Of course, my dear," he took the keys from me gently and returned them to the hooks on the shelving behind him, "I trust the room was accommodating?"

"Yes, it was very lovely, thank you again."

He bowed his head in a nod, placing a notebook up onto the counter, "I just need you to sign here for records. This let's me know what rooms are available."

I nodded, picking up a pen and signing next to my printed name. I couldn't help but notice his handwriting and how elegant but simply it was. It was as if he took his time to sign every document, to make sure that it was legible for others to read. My scrawl next to his was just that, a scrawl - with no elegance nor simplicity. I knew most people had trouble reading anything I wrote by hand, which is why I used my phone and other electronics to communicate with people rather than hand writing a note. But Mr. Hall's... his handwriting was beautiful.

I pushed the notebook back toward him, his long fingers taking it as his deep brown eyes scanned over my signature.

"It seems everything is in order," he closed the book and set it aside, "Is there anything else we can do for you?"

"I'd like to use the phone if I can. My cell died overnight and I still need to get in contact with a tower to pick up my stranded car."

"Very well," he pushed an old cord phone toward me, allowing me access, "I'll be in the office around the corner. Just shout should you need my assistance any further."

I nodded and watched as he moved around the reception desk and into the office, closing the door until only a crack of light was on the floor. At least he was giving me the privacy to make a call.

The closest tower and mechanic was "Tayte's Towing and Tires," only about a mile from where my car was stranded. I pulled the phone book out from behind the desk, flipping through the pages to find the number.

From there, everything seemed to fall into place once again. I explained my situation and where my car currently was. The man on the other end, who I'm assuming was Tayte himself, told me that he would send one of his boys out if I could meet him by the car. I told him I would get there as soon as I could. 

Hanging up, I heaved a sigh of relief. I was ready to leave the Sea View Hotel and get my car repaired, to leave this part of the country and go home to my family - who would need a phone call as soon as I got the chance. I was ready to go home and forget about everything that ever happened.

Mr. Hall hadn't come out of his office yet and so, as quickly and quietly as I could, I left the building and headed down the road and away from last night's terrors.