Part 29

Mirrors surrounded me from every angle - the light from above giving off an eerie glow in the maze as I slowly made my way through it.

After turning the corner in attempts to get away from Hugo Punch, I had no idea that I would become lost in a maze of mirrors. And it wasn't like I was surrounded by funhouse mirrors either - the ones that were bent and twisted to make one's reflection change as they walked by - they were tall dressing mirrors, ones you would find backstage in performers' rooms. My reflection was the same in every one - a frightened young woman with a disheveled appearance and wild eyes, bruises covering her neck and face.

'The mirrors show us what we do not wish to see. We wish to see ourselves as better individuals - the mirrors can show us otherwise.'

A shiver ran down my spin at the thought again. It still brought me back to the concept that Jimmy could see Hugo through the mirrors - unable to escape the cruel reality of what his life was, what it had become. And I knew, somewhere in my hopeful heart, that Jimmy would always live in Hugo Punch's shadow - a victim of the demon's foul crimes upon the world, regardless of what he did.

But the worst part was that I wasn't trapped in this strange maze with Jimmy - who I knew would've helped me find a way out - but with Hugo, who was looking for me without making so much as a sound.

A flash of color darted across the mirrors, making me jump and scream with fright.

"Quiet Miss Kylie!" The voice of Amy Bell echoed in the long hallway.

"Amy? What the heck, girl, you scared the living bejeezus out of me!" I snapped at her, still unable to see where she was.

"Be quiet!" Amy repeated, far more urgently, "Jimmy's coming!"

And I could hear footsteps, though nearly silent, making their way through the reflective corridors.

"What do I do?" I murmured softly, far too afraid to move for fear of making noise in the dirt covered ground.

"Follow me!" Amy spoke, "It's time to settle this."

"Where are you though?"

A giggle had me turning around.

In the reflective surface behind me was Amy Bell, clutching a brand new teddy in her arms. The blood that was on her clothing and matted in her hair had disappeared - returning her to how she looked before her untimely death. Her eyes were sparkling with mischief and her smile was genuine as she spoke again:

"Follow me!" her spirit taking off like a rocket in the reflective surface.

My legs felt heavy as I chased after her, my breath coming out in gasps as I struggled to keep up with her. She had led me through several different corridors, stopping on occasion to look behind her to see if I was following her before turning down another corner. One corner had her jumping from the glass, her spirit becoming a beautiful blue.

I followed her into the darkness, stopping as she turned around to face me.

"Going forward, the others will help you find what you need," Amy spoke, her voice light and filled with joy, "Free us by destroying the pieces we left behind, the item that ties us to this hotel."

Amy turned, pointing toward the far corner of the darkened room, "Jimmy stole my purse, keeping it as part of his collection and burning my teddy with the lighter. Burn my purse so that I can be free."

"Are you sure?" I asked, a little nervous that it would make the spirit talking to me now angry.

"Please, Miss Kylie... Help me..."