Part 21

A loud scream erupted in the empty auditorium, breaking my mind and body out of the fear.

Hugo's dark spirit swirled around in a fog of black, the mirror evaporating like water as it shattered - nothing more than a vision created by the spirit's dark power. I fell to the floor, covering my head with my arms and shaking like a leaf as more loud crashes came. I shut my eyes, thinking I was going to be next.

The noises stopped, only the sound of my heavy breathing echoed in the room.
Then, light footsteps - heels clicking as they tapped into the carpeting.

"When Harvey told me that you had managed to take Jimmy out with a bat, I was surprised to find you cornered by my late husband without one," a familiar female voice spoke out, "But I bet you weren't expecting to find him in here, did you Miss Martin?"

I lifted my head and turned to see a lithe woman standing a few feet away from me.

She had on a white blouse with a black pencil skirt and black dress heels. Her dark curls, stained with white and grey, fell around her smiling wrinkled features. Her eyes, though dark, were filled with mirth as she spoke again, tapping the cricket bat against her shoe, "If I were you, I would've left and never come back. But, things are different now - aren't they, dear?"

"Um... yes, I-I suppose they are," I stood slowly.

"Speak clearly, Miss Martin, when you're talking to me," Rose spoke, her voice clipped, "I just saved your life and I am not in the mood for stuttering."

"Yes, madame," I answered quickly.

"And call me Rose or Mrs. Hall. There's no need for that kind of formality."

I frowned, speaking my mind, "I'm not sure what to make of you, Mrs. Hall. From what I've heard and seen, you were once a loving and caring woman. Has that changed?"

"When one finds themselves entrapped in the past with no hope of being free," Rose spoke casually, "they start to lose a sense of who they were. I lost hope a long time ago, Miss Martin, and these past twenty years have done nothing to ease my internal suffering. You must understand that my anger is not towards you or anyone else living - it is all for that creature that nearly took your life from you just now."

"I take it that Hugo is a prisoner in these walls as well, then?" I was interested.

"Has been since he died in the lower level of this hotel," Rose confirmed, "His anger and resentment towards me has been building over the past four decades - not that I blame him of course. If I was in a similar situation, I'd probably feel the same."

"Is Jimmy aware that his father's spirit lives on?"

"I'm not sure," the ghost of the former owner answered, "I knew that my son could hear our cries through the Spirit and Ghost voice receiver, but I doubt he knows that his father still lingers."

"Kylie! KYLIE!"

My head turned toward the direction of the shouting.

"Jimmy is calling for you," Rose smiled, "You must at least mean something to him."

"He must've heard my screams when Hugo attacked," I reasoned.

"Perhaps, but I must leave you for now," Rose said forlornly, "I know you have many questions with regards as to what happened all those years ago. I don't have enough time to tell you all now, but I will later."

"How later?" I couldn't help but want to hear Rose's story now - what if she disappeared completely again?

"Tonight, at midnight," the former owner answered, "Come to the second floor, room 223. I will leave something outside the door that will give you the indication if it is safe to enter."