Part 27

Rose's POV

Summer 2005

I confessed everything I knew to Jimmy - both of us still soaking from the bath water that clung to our clothing from Jimmy's suicide attempt. He needed to understand - he needed to know - the truth about everything, his father, the hotel, the reason why Hugo died, why I did it. My heart lurched with pain and sorrow as I explained it all...

Only to be greeted with anger once again.
Jimmy jumped from his spot on the bed, pacing the room furiously, "Is that what I am, then? Demon's spawn? Made for nothing good in this world?"

"That's not true!" I shouted at him, "That was all Hugo's doing and you know it. It's not your fault - none of it is."

"The Hell it is!" Jimmy's voice took on a tone I had never heard before.

It had grown darker, more high pitched - same as the Asmodai's when I first met him all those years ago by Jimmy's cradle, same as Hugo Punch's when he was enjoying torturing his audience with those foul words of hate.

Jimmy clasped his hands to either side of his head then, his voice seemingly small, "Shut up! Shut up!"

"What's Hugo saying, Jimmy?" I asked, suddenly concerned.

Jimmy only shook his head, falling to his knees and crouching into a small ball, repeating "shut up" and "be quiet" over and over.

I never knew what it must be like to fight an inner demon. The strength of the Asmodai must've been over powering - forcing Jimmy to close his eyes and let him take over on numerous occasions. It made everything seem so easy, to sit back and let it take over - allow it to call the choices and force the other half to live with the consequences.

"Jimmy," I spoke softly, "Please... look at me."

When he managed to, his eyes were shifting in and out of focus - he was trying to fight Hugo, but it seemed the demon was winning.

"Jimmy, listen to me, I know it's hard to with that thing whispering in your ear, but you know that everything leading up to this point was not your fault," I spoke, my voice strong for the first time in weeks, "Everything that has happened has been because of me and my misjudgment. I allowed you to become hurt while in my care - I ignored the signs. I should've done more to protect you - to get you as far away from here as possible - I was selfish, wanting to keep you close to me. As for Hugo-"

I saw Jimmy's eyes darken - my mind knowing fully well that I was talking to the demon side of him, "- You have no qualms with me. Jimmy hasn't done anything to cause you to place so much hate on him. If you wish to cause harm to him - do it to me."

Hugo was silent, eyebrows raised in a cocking manner before a dark smile spread across Jimmy's features, "You forget, 'mother,' you still have the protection mark from my father."

A long finger came up, touching my forehead where the Asmodai had kissed me before departing, "This mark - as temporary as it may be - still is in use. I can't harm you should I wish to - I'd harm myself and your son in the process!" the wicked laughter rolled out, "However - as much as I enjoy this little game of self torture you bring upon yourself - you can't do anything to protect Jimmy from me. As of tonight, my father and myself, included, intend on making your son your own worst enemy. My father warned you that in time your son would become his - it is now that time."

"What do you intend on doing to him?!" I growled.

"Ease up on the anger, Mrs. Hall," Hugo's voice taunted me from my son's lips, "I intend on doing nothing - currently. Quite simple - I wish to see where you buried your husband after that interesting little encounter in the basement a little over twenty-five years ago. My father is buried with him - I ought to pay my respects to the demon that lived under your husband's skin."