Part 3

The time spent with Jimmy Hall was like time spent with an old forgotten friend that you reconnected with after coming across them on MyFace. As we sat in the entry lobby of the hotel, drinking our tea together, I started to notice little quirks about him.

He was animable and quite talkative, sometimes breaking into laughter at strange moments. His fingers would tap against his cup if he was excited and fall still when calm. He was also quite expressive with his facial features. He would smile before his lips spread into a full on grin, his smile lines becoming more noticable. His bushy brows would raise when shocked or surprised, but mostly remained straight above his dark brown eyes that now seemed endless. Though they would gloss over on occasion when I asked about the history of the hotel, Mr. Hall seemingly lost himself in memories.

The Sea View Hotel was originally bought in the late 1970s, the previous owners selling to Jimmy's family. As his father was both a magician and teacher by trade, the hotel was a perfect investment as there was a huge auditorium with specialty seating for dining. But things changed after his father died. With no performer to help bring excess revenue in, Jimmy's mother asked an old family friend and distant relative of his father's - Harvey Hall - to help with the upkeep of the hotel. He became a second father to Jimmy before he, too, passed away under mysterious circumstances.

As Jimmy told me this, I couldn't help but think there was something more going on. 
The hotel, regardless of both deaths of the previous owners, should at least still have some people coming in and going out. And where were the workers? Mr. Hall obviously needed help... Maybe he was in more financial strain than he let on.

My thoughts were broken when a low rumble was heard from somewhere deep in the hotel.

"Oh, those would be your jeans and socks," Mr. Hall stood, "I thought that I would dry them for you so you wouldn't have to worry about them being still wet from the rain."

I'd almost forgotten.

My cheeks felt warm with embarrassment, looking up at my host, "Mr. Hall, I must ask that you ask me before doing anything with regards to my belongings. I do appreciate the thought, but it scared me that I didn't know where my jeans had gone to. For all I know, they could've been stolen by a peeping tom that snuck into the building."

Jimmy looked down, looking much like a child with his hand caught in a cookie jar. I reached out, hoping to ease this strange man and his quirky tendencies, "Please, all I'm asking is that you ask me first before you take... And the only reason I'm asking is because we hardly know each other."

Mr. Hall muttered something under his breath, something along the lines of "And yet it seems as if I've known you forever."

Silence filled the void between us now, where there had once been animable understanding.

"I understand, Miss Martin," He rocked onto the back of his heels before the soles of his shoes collided again with the aged carpeting, "You are right, and I apologize. I meant no ill will toward you as a guest in my hotel. Please understand that."

"Thank you," I smiled, a little disappointed that he didn't take my hand as a sign of agreement, "And I do understand, Mr. Hall. I appreciate and am forever grateful you allowed me to stay here for the night, as well as lending me a fresh pair of clothing to wear while they were being laundered."

He grimaced in my direction, not making eye contact with me at all, before muttering, "Stay here while I fetch your clothing. It will only be a moment."