Part 6

The taxi pulled into the drive of the Sea View Hotel making both me and my driver a tad bit uneasy. 

After talking with my parents and letting them know what was going on, my dad was a bit discouraged that I would have to stay in the strange hotel again.

"I wish I was there with you, love," his deep voice spoke through, making me smile at his words, "I'd give all those gits there a piece of my mind!"

"Calm down, dad," I sighed, "It really can't be helped at this point. Besides, maybe the issues on my car will be fixed rather quickly."

"I wouldn't know about that. Car repairs may take some time..."

"I'm trying to stay positive, dad."

His hearty laugh echoed through the speaker, "Oh, love! You're always looking on the brighter side of things! This world needs more people like you."

"I'm glad you think so," I tapped my fingers nervously, "Dad? Can I ask you something?"

"Sure love, what's going on?"

I took a deep breath and explained that I was scared, terrified even. I was scared of having to go back to a place that made my skin crawl, but also that I thought going back may help the strange owner - help him bring more revenue into his business.

"It's good that you want to help someone, love," my dad answered after thinking quietly for a moment, "but remember that you have to look out for yourself as well. If you don't feel safe in some place, it's not in your interest to stay there. I do understand your current situation however - but, don't forget that I'm your father and if you need my help getting you out of Sea View, I will spend my whole retirement fund to get you back home.

"And it's not because you're my eldest, either. I love you and your siblings equally and would do the same for them if they were in your situation. You are my daughter, my child, and it's my job to protect you - even though you have grown up and moved on with your life."

I sniffed, rubbing my eyes, "Thanks dad. I promise, if something doesn't feel right again, I'll call you right away and get out of the hotel as soon as I can."

"Alright, if you're sure. I don't want to be getting a call about my daughter dying in a strange city miles away from me."

"I'm sure."

"Then I'll hold you to that promise. Keep in touch with us during your stay there, okay?"

"Okay."

"I love you, Kylie. Don't forget that."

"I love you too, dad. I'll talk with you soon."

"Alright. Be safe."

"I will."

After hanging up the phone, the next call went to the Sea View Hotel. I could feel the eyes of the people around me, judging me as I shakilly dialed the number. It was very nerve-wracking, listening as the phone rang, and looking around at the people who surrounded me from all angles in the lobby of the car repair shop. To me, it was as if they knew I was dialing the number - a forbidden number that no one acknowledged or talked about.

 I took a deep breath, counting the number of rings before I heard a soft click followed by a familiar voice.

"Sea View Hotel, Jimmy Hall speaking."

I couldn't help a smile as I spoke, "Hello again, Mr. Hall."

"Miss Martin? Is that you?"

"Yes, it's me. I seem to be in a bit of trouble."