You Were My Figure On Skates (DreamNotFound)

This is based on a piece by CodiiChronicles on twitter! Check it out here https://twitter.com/CodiiChronicles/status/1351696939788603392?s=20 or search their user+ "DNF hockey player and figure skater." It's a super cute work of art and a really cool AU, and my friend really wanted me to write it so here it is! Hope you enjoy. Forgive me for my lack of knowledge on both ice skating and hockey lol. Title was also suggested by the friend who requested this, -Satan_-

A cloud of hot air escaped into the cool air of the ice rink from soft lips, eyelashes fluttering closed and blocking out the bright light beating down on George from the high ceilings above the ice. His feet moved methodically, gracefully across the ice, moving himself one way and then another, practicing jumps on the ice. He moved to an inaudible source of music that played through his thoughts, twisting around the rink this way and that until the song in his head came to an end, and his movements finally slowed before he came to a stop at the edge of the rink. His eyes stayed barely open as he found his way to lean against the wall, puffy wisps of warmth escaping from his mouth even more now.

An obnoxious clapping brought George from his serene moment alone in the ice rink, eyes snapping open and darting over to spot Dream standing outside of the rink, wide smile on his lips. George rolled his eyes with a huff, standing to his full height and crossing his arms.

"Nice moves, George." Dream grinned as he approached George, wearing his bulky hockey gear.

"What are you doing here, Dream?" George sighed, stepping out of the rink and stepping over to where he had set down his things. He pulled out a bottle of water, taking a large swig. The cold liquid sent a chill down his spine, and he tugged his sleeves down over his hands for an extra bit of warmth.

"I thought it was my day to practice here," he said, taking a seat next to George. His grin stayed present on his lips always, and George wanted to wipe it from his stupid face. His mind briefly pictured the shocked look on Dream's face if George were to kiss him, the way his stupid grin would finally fall as confusion took over before he might return the kiss. He shook that away quickly though. They were meant to be rivals, enemies, he wasn't supposed to be crushing him him. And yet, the goofball seemed to have won his heart over these last few weeks of constant bickering over who got to use their local ice rink when.

George used to be the only one who came to the rink on Monday and Thursday afternoons. Most others were in school or at work those days, and the place stayed empty on most weekdays. Then Dream had shown up one Thursday, throwing off George's practice that he always did alone. George had been fine with it, he had been forced to share the rink on other occasions as well. He stayed mindful of Dream the entire time he was there doing his routine, and they didn't say much to each other outside of a few simple 'hello's. But Dream had also shown up the following Monday, and then Thursday again, and it became clear soon enough the two had the same exact routine for skating.

George had gotten frustrated, and told Dream he needed to start coming a different day, or at least at a different time. It turned out their schedules didn't leave very much other time for either of them to skate, so they had to settle on switching off days. George had the rink on Monday's, Dream on Thursdays. If one of them couldn't go for any reason on their assigned day then they switched days, and continued that way until they needed to switch again. It worked out pretty well, but somehow they still ended up showing up at the same time some days.

"I couldn't make it last Thursday," Dream pointed out. "You went. So I get Mondays now."

"Shit. You're right," George cursed, remembering the texts between the two last week.

"It's usually me who messes up our schedules," Dream laughed. His eyes scrunched when his lips took up most of his cheeks, and it made George want to smile too. He stifled the urge.