Mask (DreamNotFound)

A request for my BFF Lucifer <3

Dream's foot taps, taps, taps against his floor. His hand runs through this hair once, twice, another time. He chews his nails and turns back to the door, watching, waiting.

George is going to be there any minute now.

It had been a few months since their most memorable discord call yet. It was the morning for George who had just woken up after a good nights rest, but Dream had been up the entire night. It was late, and he was exhausted, but he just couldn't sleep. He hadn't been able to get George off of his mind.

He knew that he had been in love with George for quite some time. I mean honestly, who wouldn't fall in love with the man? He was absolutely gorgeous, anyone could see it, and he was so funny, and charming, and Dream was absolutely smitten with him.

He wasn't very subtle about that. Everyone who knew the two knew that Dream was taken with the other man, knew that he would do absolutely anything for him. Everyone that is, except for George.

George was almost annoyingly oblivious, about more things than just Dream's feelings too. He didn't tend to pick up on things unless they were laid out as bluntly as possible. Sometimes being blunt didn't work either though, Dream had realized. He had laid his feelings out there entirely, detailing his love for George and how he cared for him so, so much. George had thought he was joking, and Dream didn't know where he was supposed to go from there. So he had dropped it. He moved on quickly, and George never mentioned it again.

During Dream's sleepless night, a thought had popped into his mind. It was sudden and jarring, and it stung him harshly, leaving welts on his heart.

What if George wasn't as oblivious as Dream thought?

The idea had terrified him, leaving him paralyzed in bed. He stared up at the shadowed ceiling for hours into the night, considering the possibility. What if this was an elaborate joke? What if George was intentionally ignoring his feelings, was playing him for a laugh? What if George thought his feelings were just a stupid joke?

He didn't know how he had ended up at his desk, computer booting up. The brightness of his desktop stung his tired eyes, and he rubbed at them tiredly with his fists. Once they adjusted to the new light he opened up Discord, checking to see who might be on. He needed a distraction.

It was a surprise to find that George was online. He had mentioned to Dream that he was heading to bed not too long ago, and Dream was wondering why he was up when-oh.

The clock in the corner of his screen read the time as 6:00AM, meaning it was much later in the UK. George had gotten up for the day and Dream was still awake, unable to sleep and all because of the man who's username sat before him.

A sudden noise made Dream jump. George was calling him now. Dream's mind went into a panic, wondering if he should pick up or if he should ignore him, ignore his thoughts and just go back to staring at the ceiling some more. His hand had already moved the mouse to click the accept button.

"Dream," George greeted as the call was answered. "You're up late."

"Yeah," Dream's voice was quiet, laced heavily with tiredness and anxiety. "Can't sleep."

"Something wrong?"

Yes, Dream thought, frowning to himself. I'm in love with you and I can't tell if you're toying with me on purpose or not.

"Nothing serious," he said simply, shrugging his shoulders although George couldn't see him. "How's your morning going?"

There was a pause on the other end for a moment. "Fine," George said at last. "Are you sure you don't want to talk about it? I'm here for you, Dream."