Short Break (DreamNotFound)

@ kirbsaki on Twitter posted a bunch of sweet dnf prompts on Twitter which gave me a lot of inspiration to write, so thanks to them for the inspiration!!!

"We're supposed to be studying, y'know." Dream muttered to his friend, who had just closed his textbook and moved from the desk chair over to Dream's bed instead, flopping unceremoniously down. Dream couldn't help the small smile that lifted the corners of his lips as he stared at George, his hair spread out in a multitude of directions against Dream's comforter. His hair was getting so long, and it suited him so nicely. Dream's fingers twitched with the urge to reach out and touch, to card his fingers through the soft hair.

"What? We can't take a short break?" George asked, glancing over at Dream and catching him staring. Dream's cheeks burned pink. He rose quickly from the spare desk chair-he had given the more comfy chair to George-and followed George over to the bed. Instead of flopping back to lay down as George had however, Dream simply pulled his legs up onto the bed and crossed them, sitting a fair distance away from the other boy.

"We only just started, but fine." Dream conceded, smile growing wider. He couldn't help but smile constantly around the other. Even when doing something as boring as studying.

"As if you'd ever say no to me anyways." George laughed, quickly dodging to the side as Dream went to hit him with his pillow. Both of them were giggling softly now, and Dream didn't deny George's statement.

"So, what're we doing on our "short" break?" Dream questioned, fingers making air quotes over the word 'short.' He knew George's studying habits well.

George hummed softly in response, thinking it over.

"I'm tired," he said after a few moments, sitting up and shimmying closer to Dream. Without warning George let his head rest in Dream's lap, closing his eyes as he yawned. When he opened them he blinked up at Dream, eyes soft and pink lips puffed out slightly in a pout. "Can't I take a nap, Dream? I won't learn anything when I'm tired."

Dream's brain short circuited, his eyes frozen on George's lips, the way his eyes peered up at Dream. He stuttered for a moment before finally getting out something coherent. "Y-yeah, no, yeah, of course. A nap. A nap would be good."

George's lips curled themselves into a grin, a hand reaching up to grab at the nape of Dream's neck. He tugged down on Dream, pulling his face closer to where George's head rested in his lap, lifting his own head up to be closer. For a moment he seemed to pause there, Dream's brain working hard to comprehend what was happening, why George was close enough that he could feel his breath against his cheeks. Before he could work it out George's lips pressed softly against his cheek, so light that he could barely feel it. He lingered there, eyelashes fluttering against Dream's cheekbones he was so close, before finally laying his head back down and releasing Dream so he could sit up again.

"Thanks Dream," George mumbled, and Dream caught George's cheeks turning red before he threw an arm over his face to hide it, getting comfortable once more with his head in Dream's lap to take a nap. Dream made a strangled sound in the back of his throat as a response, unable to come up with anything more than that. He felt George's shoulders shake with quiet laughter before he relaxed once again.

Dream sat completely still, arms held out beside of him awkwardly, unsure of where to put them. He was almost sure he had to be dreaming now, but George's long hair tickled against his legs, and the burning of his cheeks was all too real to be a dream. Dream had just been kissed by the very same boy he had been pining over for months now.

Letting out a heavy sigh as Dream realized he had been holding his breath, he slowly let his hands lower from where they had been hovering in the air. One hand rested softly against George's chest, feeling the steady rising and falling of his breath and even the faint thumping of his gentle heartbeat. The other hand finally, finally settled against George's long, gorgeous brown strands of hair, immediately running his fingers through it. To his absolute amazement George leaned into his touch, a contented sigh leaving his lips as he did so. George's hair was just as soft as Dream had imagined it would be.

It didn't take very long for George's breathing to even out. Dream could feel it as his hand rose with every breath George took, could tell right when he fell asleep. It always was easy for the other boy to get to sleep quickly.

Dream however, wasn't tired in the slightest. He had just experienced one of the best moments of his entire life, being kissed by George and now getting to keep him close, to hold him while he slept. Dream wanted nothing more than to stay awake through this moment, to cherish every second.

When George awoke they still wouldn't get much studying done. Dream would ask him about the kiss, would ask him what it meant, if it would happen again, and George would pull him into a proper kiss to shut him up, and they would spend the rest of their evening tangled together in Dream's bed, talking in hushed whispers about their feelings and stealing small kisses every chance they got.