Breath (DreamNotNap)

"Tired?" Dream's soft voice whispered, eyes caught on the image of George on his phone screen. The box beside of him held Sapnap, head on his pillow and eyes already closed. He had fallen asleep about an hour ago, silently drifting off as Dream and George had been talking. It took them a few minutes to notice his silence. Now George looked as though he was going to follow soon, eyes drooping, his last sentence just a blur of tangled words caught in a web of sleepiness.

"Mhm," George murmured back, giving a small nod. His mouth stretched open then to give a yawn, the soft breath reaching Dream's ears through the phone. "'S'late here."

Dream nodded slowly, eyes following George's small movements. "Get some sleep then."

"Don't end the call," George said quickly, eyes meeting Dream's through the screen. "Just... leave it open. If you want."

"Happy to stay," Dream assured him, smile pulling the corners of his lips. "Want me to talk? Or just hang out?"

"I don't care," George said, rising from his bed and leaving the frame momentarily. The lights went out on his screen before Dream heard his return, heard the bed creaking as it dipped down with his weight. "Just stay on."

Dream hummed, a wordless comfort that he wouldn't be leaving anytime soon. He heard the rustling of sheets, could see small movements in the dark. When George finally settled into bed it all went quiet. Until George's hand grabbed the phone, moving Dream's perspective closer to where his head lay so he could see him still, even in the dark.

"G'night, George." Dream muttered, opening up Twitter. He needed something to do now that both of his... friends, maybe something more, were sleeping. George muttered back a goodnight and Dream's attention went to random posts on Twitter.

A sound broke Dream from his scrolling sometime later, drawing his gaze back over to his phone screen. It came again only a moment later, this time being recognized by Dream. It was the soft sounds of a bird singing it's song, letting the world know it was awake. Soft rays of sunlight filtered in through George's window already, and Dream knew that must have been the source of the chirping. There were no birds awake where he and Sapnap were.

Glancing at his clock the white text stared back at him, reading 12:38AM. It was early morning already for George, and really time for Dream himself to go to bed.

A soft sigh left his lips, fingers swiping away the Twitter app on his phone at last. His hand, still holding his phone, found its way to rest against his pillow, leaving the device beside of his head before he stretched each of his limbs outwards across his bed. He almost wished he could reach his arms out like this to grab at George and Sapnap, to pull them in close to him, to have them by his side. His fingers wouldn't reach far enough, so Dream relaxed against his bed, arms finding their way back down to grab at his blanket around his waist. He pulled it up and over his chest to quell the aching cold that two unfilled holes had caused.

Eyes falling closed, Dream tuned back in to the phone that rested beside of his head. The feedback sound that filled the silent call played through his ears, reminding him of the people on the other end of the phone that had fallen asleep here with him. Maybe they weren't able to reach and feel each other, but they were still here. On a video call in the middle of the night, together.

Softly, over the staticky sound of the feedback, another sound came through the line. The faintest sound of soft breaths, in and out, and in and out again. The sounds overlapped slightly, both George and Sapnap's breaths being caught up by the microphone.

A steady warmth trickled its way into the empty hole that resided in Dream's chest. Each soft breath seemed to trickle its way from his favorite people all the way through the phone, finding its way to Dream and filling up his soul with a warmth unlike any other. It was a soft and comforting feeling, listening to their long and quiet breaths. The warmth nestled its way into Dream, winding its way around his heart in the softest hug. A long puff of breath escaped Dream's nose, and he willed it to stream towards both of them, to fill them with the same warmth and comfort and love that he was feeling now.

It didn't take long for the warm feeling that wrapped it's way around him to lull him off into a relaxing sleep, eyelids falling closed and breath evening out. He fell asleep to the breathing of his favorite people, hoping one day he'd get to hear it in person.

When George and Sapnap both awoke they did not leave the call. They shared a quiet good morning before they both fell silent, not quite ready to begin their days. Through the phone call they both picked up on the heavy, peaceful breathing of Dream, sleep still holding its firm grasp on him. As morning light streamed through both of their windows the pair still lie quietly in bed, letting the soft sounds of their Dream wrap around them with warmth and comfort.