Din Djarin - Cold Crash (Pt. 1)

TW: mention of spiders and hypothermia.

About a year ago...

"What's your worst fear?" you asked Mando. You'd been in hyperspace for hours now, and though the beskar-clad warrior had mentioned the trip to the Core planets would take upwards of a few days, you hadn't expected to be so... bored.

"I'm not afraid of anything," he replied. He was clearly unamused at your feeble attempt to pass the time.

"Bantha shit!" you cursed, tucking your legs up in your chair. "Everybody's afraid of something. I'm afraid of spiders."

Mando scoffed. "Spiders?"

You reached over and cuffed him across the helmet as you tried to stifle your own giggles. "Hey! It's not funny. It's a completely valid fear."

"Oh, yeah?"

"Yeah." Your laughter died out as old trauma surfaced in your mind."I, uh... I got bit by a spider as a kid. Turns out, it was poisonous, and I would've died if my dad hadn't rushed me to the medbay like he did." Mando's figure stilled in the pilot's chair. "I had recurring nightmares for weeks. My- my dad would wake up and rush into my room, helping me check my arms and legs. And then he'd stay with me all night, watching for spiders. He'd be right there the next morning with bags under his eyes."

Mando didn't talk for awhile. Only the beeping and soft hum of the Crest lingered between you two.

He finally spoke up when you'd almost dozed off in your chair. "Droids."

"Hm?"

"I'm afraid of droids." He looked over his shoulder, as if waiting for a response.

But you would never judge him for that, nor did you want to pressure him to tell you why— if there even is a why. Who ever said fears had to be justified? So you waited.

The Mandalorian correctly read your silence as a message of acceptance. He stood up from the pilot's seat and made his way over to you.

And then he knelt and bowed his head, causing you to freeze. "I'm not ready to share my story yet, if that's okay."

You immediately relaxed. "Of course, that's okay—"

"And I'm sorry for laughing." Mando's helmet raised, and you could've sworn he was looking you in the eyes. "I had no right to make a joke of your fear after you were brave and kind enough to share it with me. Ni ceta."

He already had your forgiveness, even if he didn't think himself deserving. And you knew he always would, because even then, you were head over heels in love with the beskar-clad warrior.

Present.

When he woke, Din's first thoughts were of you and the Child. You two were always his priority and would be until his last breath.

His second thought was about how cold it was in the ship. A thick layer of frost coated his beskar, essentially gluing him to the dashboard, and his joints felt stiff.

He looked over his shoulder to the passenger's seat to check on you, but he saw the frog lady unconscious on the floor instead. It took him a moment to remember why, still disoriented from the crash.