Kylo Ren Series: The Galaxy Was Wide Enough - 1

Chapter One
A Winter's Ball

Kylo Ren smirked into the mirror as he adjusted his collar. He was dressed in a long, open black jacket with silver piping and an organic floral design embroidered with shiny black thread onto the fabric. Its red satin lining matched the sash hung over one shoulder, which sported the insignia of the First Order. Underneath the jacket, he wore a dark tunic clasped together with silver buckles. Leather boots ended at his knees, accentuating the massive muscles in his legs, and at his left hip, his lightsaber lay holstered to a black leather belt.

It wasn't his usual choice of attire. But, the traditional fashion of Hollis was growing on him. His unusual pleasure in such trivial social affairs swayed him so far as to pull his hair together in the back by a stretchy band, the shorter black strands falling around his face, and let a soft stubble appear around his chin and above his top lip. The style accentuated the handsome lengthiness to his face and the angular lines of his nose.

"Are you ready to go or not, Ren?" Armitage Hux inquired from behind, where he was leaning on the ornately carved doorframe of the men's powder room. In the mirror, Kylo could see that Armitage was dressed in a similar ensemble of varying whites and golds and a matching red satin sash. "We're to make a formidable impression on the Schuyler sisters, and it won't be by being late."

"Nor will it be by showing up with your belt unbuckled, but here you are," Kylo remarked.

A rosy flush crept up the ginger man's pale face as he fumbled with his belt. "This alliance," Armitage grumbled, "will play a paramount role in the rise of the First Order. If one of us succeeds in marrying a sister, we would single-handedly establish a system of trade and trust serving as the sole foundation for our developing empire."

Kylo replied, turning to stride out of the room, "Is it a question of if, Hux? Or which one?"

As the pair marched down the hallway in perfect unison, Armitage gave the dark-haired commander a side glance filled with doubt. "I had the unfortunate pleasure of encountering the sisters on my way to meet with the negotiating ambassador, yesterday. The eldest cheaply attempted intellectual conversation, petitioning me to join her crusade for equal rights for women." Armitage rolled his eyes, turning his sharp nose to the ceiling. "Women voting- that'll be the day." He let out a nervous chuckle with a dismissive wave of his hand.

Kylo drew his lips into a tight line. He lowered his voice into the range in which it rumbled with every deep, dark word. "Nevertheless, we have a mission to accomplish, Hux. You would do well to remember your manners."

Armitage visibly flinched, mouth gaping. "Me? Remember my manners? You're the one who has trouble keeping his hands to himself, tom cat. These women are well-endowed, and they're envied for it, too," he leered in partly satirical response.

Kylo's eyes sparkled. "Yeah, yeah."

They began to hear the bleedings of cheerfully eager music through the manor's walls. The strident hum of a grand pianoforte resonated at the thrumming heart of the jubilant jive, accompanied by a harmony rotating among a violoncello, viola, hautbois, and fagotto. They were playing a lovely, upbeat arrangement of what Kylo assumed to be Hollis's traditional dancing music.

"Rather distasteful, isn't it?" Armitage raised a brow, all jocular attitudes departed from his tone. He and Kylo arrived outside the ballroom.

Kylo shrugged as he firmly swung open two double grand doors. "I happen to like it."

He paused at the top of the grand staircase, allowing a revelry of wine and food and music and dancing to wash over him like a wave and sweep him into its feverish current. It carried his gaze from corner to corner. He caught sight of beautiful women in beautiful dresses twirling around each other with beautiful grace. Without hesitation, Kylo started down the staircase.

so thats the first chapter. hope you enjoyed! each part is roughly based on song, so the chapters will be wildly different in length.

vote, comment, add to a reading list! the more people reading, the more motivation i have to write!