Chapter Twelve

Ben sighed as he sat at his desk. It'd been a few days since Leah's exile to the Isle and he had finally gotten around to arranging a meeting with Aurora and Phillip Sr. With Stefan's death a few years back, and Leah being on the Isle now, Aurora was the legal heir to the throne of Auroria.

Ben had hoped Mal would be with him, if only so he could spend some time with her before the meeting. Ever since the council meeting, Mal seemed to be getting busier and busier. It honestly felt as if they'd only had fifteen minutes between them with how busy both their schedules had gotten.

This weekend, Ben promised himself. This weekend, I'll take Mal on a ride on my scooter. Maybe we'll go to the Enchanted Lake, just relax with the two of us. Or maybe the three of us. Estelle would like the Enchanted Lake I'd think. Run around, swim, or just chill out on the platform.

He smiled slightly as he thought about Mal's impressively loyal Cerberus. The pup, if he could be classified as such, loved to follow Mal around whenever he could; even going as far as to follow Mal into a few classes much to the amusement of the teacher and other students.

Estelle had been allowed in of course, if only because how do you say no to a Cerberus of all creatures? A symbol of Lord Hades?

A couple of teachers had come to him to voice their concerns but Ben had stated that it was a matter they needed to voice to Mal. Just because he was king and dating Mal didn't mean he was going to start telling her what to do.

Not that I really could, Ben thought with amusement. Mal's got a fire in her that I love. Not to mention, she's the daughter of a God. Two Gods actually. I'm pretty sure she outranks me.

He had considered though hiring a helper for Estelle, in the event that there was a class that didn't allow Estelle to join them as it might affect the safety of the students and of Estelle. He would have to broach the idea with Mal though—Estelle was her dog, he wasn't going to do anything behind her back.

"Sire?"

"Yes Dean?" Ben thought as he pulled himself out of his thoughts.

"Princess Aurora and Prince Phillip are here," Dean stated, his voice coming clear from the intercom. "Shall I let them in?"

Ben nodded and then paused as he remembered that Dean, despite being an excellent head assistant, could not see through the intercom. "Yes Dean, send them in."

He couldn't help but smile as he saw Aurora and Phillip walk through the doorway, though he had to admit he was nervous. He hadn't seen either royal since he broke off his betrothal contract with Audrey. Well scratch that, he had seen them at his coronation but the traditional meet and greets were cut rather short due to the surprise visit from Maleficent.

"Your majesty," Aurora said, her voice as soft and pleasant as it normally was whenever she spoke to Ben. She gave a small curtsey as Phillip gave a small bow.

"Princess Aurora, Prince Phillip, there's no need for that," Ben said gently. "I've known you since I was a toddler. You're friends with my parents. No formalities are necessary."

"Then there's no need to use our titles," Phillip stated, a smile on his lips. "Though I think I know the reason why you've called us down here."

Ben sighed. "I do need to talk to you about the line of succession for Auroria. With your mother—"

"Please forgive my interruption Ben but from what I understand of her crimes, the former Queen of Auroria is no mother of mine," Aurora stated. "It is unfortunate that we share the same gene pool but that is it. I, in all honesty, consider Flora, Fauna and Merryweather to be more of mothers to me than her."