Chapter Seventeen

"Please tell me that's not what you're wearing."

Mal sighed as Uma walked into their dorm. Evie had finally gotten around to cornering Mal into gettin a dress fitting for her Cotillion gown. Mal honestly didn't know how Evie had had the time to make her gown but she had—it was a blue and yellow strapless dress that was probably the exact opposite of her style which made it perfect to get people to stop connecting her with the Dragon. Privately, Mal had hoped that Uma would be distracted enough by sparring with Harry that the fitting would be done by the time her cousin came back to the dorm.

No such luck.

"Seriously Mali, that's not what you're wearing are you?" Uma asked as she sat down on her bed.

"It's either this or I'm going to Cotillion in my bathrobe," Mal told her. "No one wants to see that, now do they?"

The dress wasn't that bad either. Evie had really listened to Mal and tried to go all out in terms of Auradon fashion. Sure the colors were a bit...bold and stood out a lot more than Mal was comfortable with but this was the dress for the girlfriend of the king. No matter what Mal did, she was going to stand out.

She had to smile though as she saw the boots Evie had designed. It was clear that the daughter of the Evil Queen couldn't resist a bit of the Isle in her designs as the heels were studded with faux spikes.

Not noticeable enough that anyone would comment on them but just enough so that Mal didn't feel like she was totally losing her identity. She hadn't even brought this up with Evie whenever they planned her dress. How had she known?

"No! Just...no! Ugh Mal, this dress is an eyesore! I'm not a big fan of the prissy and the fru-fru but if you have to go out in something prissy, it can't be as busy as it is right now! Not to mention it clashes with your hair!" Uma exclaimed, bringing Mal out of her thoughts.

"Uma, tell that to Evie," Mal sighed. "I'm just waiting for this fitting to be over. I've got like twenty other things I have to do after this and right now I can't even tell you what one of them is."

Uma frowned slightly as she heard that but turned toward Evie. "Princess, you might be good at design judging by the sketches I'm seeing all over the place. But you're clearly not good at matching colors for Mal. What, is this revenge for all the smoke bombs we pelted at you over the years or something? Mal, take that dress off and get changed! I'll change that color for you!"

"Uma, blue and yellow are the royal colors," Evie sighed and shook her head. "What other colors would the dress be for the event where Mal gets inducted into the royal court?"

"I don't care if the royal colors are orange with pink polka dots!" Uma exclaimed as Mal changed out of the dress. If either blue haired girl was paying attention, they would have noticed that Mal put up minimal fuss over the issue. Something that was extremely out of the ordinary for her. Sadly, they were in fact not paying attention. "Mal is not wearing something that is just going to make her look like a mess. If I have to see her in a dress, it's going to be one that at least looks good!" Uma declared, taking the dress and sitting on the bed with it, her hand and shell glowing dimly.

Thankfully, transformation magic was relatively easy for her considering both her parents had experience with it—Ursula with turning Ariel into a human and Facilier with turning Naveen into a frog. Changing a dress' color was child's play in that regard. Her magic may have been mostly water based but that didn't mean she didn't have a few other tricks up her sleeve.

"Orange and pink polka dots? Wait, are you saying my dress didn't look good?" Evie exclaimed while Mal grabbed her bathrobe and slipped it on. "Also, we're not supposed to do magic here! Not without royal permission!"