Chapter Forty One

Mal smiled as she held Ben close to her. Beast had come by with a doctor and, after a through check up, the doctor fond that Ben indeed had a concussion. So no more Cotillion for that was fine for Mal, it meant more time to cuddle up with him.

"Thank Gods Freddy didn't hurt you worse," she murmured as she rested her head on his shoulder.

"I'll be fine," Ben said, keeping his voice low as if speaking any louder would hurt it more. "Besides, I owed you one remember."

"I believe I said I didn't want there to be a next time," Mal pointed out. "Besides you don't owe me anything Ben. Like you said, it's you and me. We're a team."

Ben gave her a small smile. "So wait, I just want to double check. You really said yes?"

"Got the ring to prove it," Mal chuckled, holding her hand up so that Ben could see the engagement ring resting proudly on her ring finger.

Ben grinned. "Do you like it?"

"I love it Ben. I love you. I'd have agreed to marry you ring or no ring," Mal said gently. "Seeing you on the deck earlier...I've never wanted the titles or the jewels. I want what my parents have. What your parents have. I want that. And I want it with you."

"And you'll always have me," Ben said gently.

Mal gave him a sad smile as she heard that. She knew there would be a time when she would have to say goodbye to Ben. But she didn't want to think about that. Not when she was the happiest she'd ever been.

"You know I asked your parents for permission?" Ben said with a small chuckle.

"You did?" Mal asked, slightly shocked before looking at him, her eyes wide. "Ben, you didn't go to the Isle without us did you?!"

Ben winced slightly as Mal's voice rose in her slight panic and Mal bit her lip as she noticed that.

"Sorry," she said, lowering her voice.

"It's not your fault," Ben said. "You're worried, that's understandable. But no, I didn't go to the Isle. Your mom took me to her portal and I asked both her and your dad. Your dad provided the jewel for the ring too."

"I'm not surprised," Mal chuckled as she looked at the jewel. "You know if dowries are a thing, he'll consider that as a challenge to show up your dad."

"Leah tried to insist on a dowry when I was in the contract with Audrey but mom put her foot down," Ben said. "She likes to say that if she married my dad without a dowry then it would be hypocritical of her to expect anyone I marry to have a dowry."

Mal smiled as she curled up close to Ben. "Dad always said your mom was the one to advocate for change for the Isle when it first was founded," she said softly. "I guess that's where you get it from."

Ben smiled slightly as he heard her words. Throughout his life, he'd always been compared to his father. In fact, he even had a few suits that were carbon copies of the ones his dad wore. He was proud of his dad, don't get him wrong. But being able to be compared to his mom...

"Did Belle get the photo?" Mal asked softly.

"I was...I was going to give it to her as sort of a reverse engagement gift," Ben said softly. "But after everything...I don't think it's a good idea to remind her of the daughter she lost the same night she saw me..."

"Hey, hey," Mal said gently. "It's okay. Trust me, I think that's a good idea but don't wait on giving that photo to her. I really think she'd like it."

Carlos had worked his magic and edited the photo so well, it honestly looked as if Abigail had been standing right next to Ben.

"I have it in a locket," Ben said. "It's going to be a birthday present for mom. Normally all she gets is books anyway so I think she'll like it. I hope so anyway."