Chapter Twenty Six

Mal grinned as she sprawled out on the couch in Ben's office, her cousin sprawled out next to her. After what felt like a lifetime, they were finally going to go ahead and start picking more VKs to come across the bridge. Or at least they'd pick the method in which they were going to select the next group of VKs.

She had hoped Ben wouldn't have to work on paperwork during their planning session but to be fair to him, they had pretty much barged into his office. Well where else would they plan the next group? Their dorms?

Still...he looked almost miserable surrounded by all that paperwork. Mal wished there was something she could do for him. After all, he'd done everything for her. He brought her off the Isle...had been there when she needed someone...

"I still think it should be via application," Carlos said from his spot on the floor, looking up from petting Dude who whined slightly as the pets stopped. Estelle laid on the rug next to them, his legs in the air as if hinting for a belly rub from Carlos. "That way it's not just the people we like getting to come but all the VKs get a chance."

"You and I know perfectly well that there are VKs who don't deserve to come over here, DeVil," Harry told him, leaning over the couch so that his head was between Mal and Uma as Carlos finally picked up on the hints and gave Estelle a belly rub. "Freddy and Zevon for instance, plus Zevon's sister Yzla and Mad Maddy."

"You know I just want to say, this Zevon's name sounds like it should be a laundry detergent," Akiho said as he came in and sat on Ben's desk.

Mal chuckled. "I would give you all the chocolate in the world if you told him that to his face. His reaction would be priceless. But what are you guys doing here?"

"Ben texted us and said you all had taken over his office to plan out the next VK group," Emir said from the doorway and held up a tray of sandwiches that Mal could only assume had been created by Akiho. "So we brought snacks for you guys."

"Ooh!"

"We didn't take over his office," Uma chuckled. "We just walked in. He wasn't even here!"

"Yes he was Uma," Mal shook her head. "You just couldn't see him because he was buried under a mountain of papers when we walked in and set up shop."

"Yeah! I mean, he's right here doing paperwork!" Akiho said, shaking his head in amusement as he pointed to Ben, Emir crossing the threshold of the doorway to join in the madness. The teenaged King, to his credit, only looked bemused at the whole thing. Almost as if this was something that he was used to.

Though knowing Ben and the insanity of the friends he has, he probably is used to things like this, Mal thought.

"We're getting off topic," Harry said as he snatched a sandwich off of the tray that Emir was holding. The Agrabah prince shook his head and made the rounds, offering sandwiches to all the VKs and Ben. "What's so wrong with just picking the next group ourselves? After all, that's what Mal and Jay did."

"We do that, then it looks like the only kids who get to get off the Isle are the ones who're close to us," Mal sighed as she too took a sandwich. Ever since the picnic, she'd noticed that Emir and Akiho at least were determined to make sure all the VKs got food whenever possible. Not that they were complaining of course. "Carlos is right, it's only fair to do an application. That way, kids don't get disheartened if they don't get picked this go around."

"Mal, be honest. If you saw an application with Freddy or Zevon's name on it, would you give it a fair consideration or would you turn it to ash?"

"Oh ash to be sure," Mal nodded and then paused. "I see your point Harry."