Re-sorting

Your POV:
I decided that being at Hogwarts was becoming too much for me. So I wrote a letter home to my uncle and asked him if I could take a little break. To my surprise, he said yes.

I packed my bags and told Draco, Jenna, Adrian, and Ginny that I was leaving. I didn't tell the twins. I figured they had their own things to figure out, so I didn't bother them. I made my way to the train station and started on my journey home.

Ireland was actually quite boring during the school year. No festivals or tournaments, so I really was just spending all my time in the house. George wrote me quite a lot, and I wrote him back. Ginny must have told him I went home, but I didn't mind. I did miss him. He told me him and Fred made up. And that he missed me. I missed him too, but I needed some time to myself. I was sure I'd be back within a couple of days.

I was right. Before long, I was sick of being home and asked to go back to Hogwarts. The train ride there was weird and silent, but I was excited. I really just wanted to see George again. I hoped he wouldn't be mad at me. But he didn't seem so in his letters. I did what was best for both of us. He needed to make up with Fred, and I needed to get my emotions in check.

I walked straight into the Gryffindor common room when I arrived and ran into Harry again.
"Hey." I greeted him, "Have you seen George?"
"Oh hey!" He answered, "Yeah actually come with me, we had something planned for when you got back."

That was weird. I didn't really think Harry would be talking to me after our last conversation. So what could him and my boyfriend have planned for me? He dragged me to Dumbledore's study and sent Ron to go get George.
"Okay Harry," I said, "what are we doing here?"
Suddenly George ran in and scooped me into his arms.
"Welcome back, love." He grinned, "I'll give you a proper greeting later, but right now we're on a mission."
"A mission?" I asked.
"A mission to find out if the sorting hat made a mistake." He said, "Harry told me about your conversation last week. I know you said that you were a Slytherin, and obviously that's what the hat said, but what if it was wrong? I know you must hate being looked at as the bad guy, and I want to give you a chance to see if you're something different. So we're redoing your sorting ceremony."

He grabbed the old hat off a tall shelf and turned to me. He put the hat on my head and it analyzed me again.
"Hm. Interesting." It said, "Sneaky, trying to get me to change my mind. I know what I told you before. I had made up my mind about Slytherin. But you want something different. It's not like I don't see other redeeming qualities in you, I do. But I am very rarely wrong. And I never change my mind. You may be a bit of a Gryffindor at heart, or even Hufflepuff, but the bulk of you remains Slytherin. You're not a bad person in the slightest, but I think you have some anger inside of you that only amplifies your ambition. The death of your friend only increased that anger. Good intentions or not, SLYTHERIN." It yelled the last part.

I took the hat off and shrugged.
"Guess that's it then." I said, "No mistake."
George looked at me like he felt bad, when really he had nothing to feel bad about.
"Hey," I told him, "It's okay. Thanks for trying. But I don't really wanna listen to some stupid hat anyway."
I took off my Slytherin robes and tossed them in the corner. I didn't care if I got in trouble, I never wanted to wear that uniform again. And nobody was gonna make me.

I spent the rest of the afternoon in George's dorm, not talking, just laying there. After a while though, he broke the silence.
"I need you to know that you can talk to me." He said, "Obviously I know you're hurting right now and nobody blames you but maybe it would be good for you to talk about it? You've been kind of back and forth and it's scaring me. I'm always here if you need me."
I smiled at him, "I'm fine. Please don't worry. I wouldn't lie to you about this. I did some thinking, I took my time. I can't promise I'm never gonna be sad again, but I know now that I can be happy again. I know Cedric would have wanted me to be."

He pulled me in and kissed the side of my head.
"Now you're just about the bravest person I've ever met." He whispered.
"I'm sorry for leaving by the way." I turned to face him, "That wasn't very brave of me. I don't know why I thought running away from my problems would solve them. It really didn't. Besides, I missed you too much anyway."
He smiled at me.
"I thought you'd be mad at me, you know." I added, "For leaving. And for yelling at you like I did. It was quite rude of me actually. I shouldn't have done it."
"No, you should have." He answered, "I deserved it. I was being stupid. I should have talked to Fred way sooner than I did. And honestly, how could I blame anyone for wanting to kiss my beautiful girlfriend?" He smirked at me, "Though if anyone else tries, I might have to throw a couple punches."

The next couple weeks were great. I had George, I had Fred, I didn't have Cedric but I was learning to deal with it, I had Ginny, and Draco and Hermione and Luna and Neville. I'd never realized just how many friends I had until then. And I was so grateful for them. I hadn't even gotten in trouble yet for ditching my robes. I wore whatever I wanted and nobody, not even the professors, told me to change. I was living my life how I wanted to, and it felt great. I had nothing holding me back, and only one thing was on my mind. Vengeance.

I was going to kill Voldemort if it was the last thing I did.