Distance

Your POV:
After weeks of training with Dumbledore's Army, I realized it was pretty much all I had been doing. I didn't study much anymore and I hadn't been down to Rita's office since the Tri-Wizard Tournament. Quidditch would start again soon, but I at least wanted to get back to The Prophet before then. So I sent Rita an owl and waited on a response. It didn't take long until I received one.

It was Sunday and I was going to spend most of the day with Rita to get to work on the next issue, so I went back to my dorm to change before I left.

As I was leaving, I ran into George, who had come to see me. He had probably just come from detention. Umbridge had started giving it to him on the weekends.
"Oh hi, love." I greeted him, "What are you doing here?"
"Taking you on a date." He smiled at me.
I frowned. "George I can't."
"Why not?" He looked hurt.
"I need to help Rita a bit." I told him, "Things are getting quite busy at the Prophet right now."
"What, so you're just gonna leave?" He asked me, "It's Sunday."
"Come on, Georgie. You can survive one Sunday without me, can't you?" I said.
He looked down. "I don't know. Why do you wanna leave so bad anyway?"
I had to go. "George I'm not even gone all that much. You kind of are to be honest."
"But I don't want you to start! That just means we get even less time together." He protested.
"I don't know what to tell you, George. This is my job. I'm still a student, I'll see you in class. In fact I'll see you tomorrow. For goodness' sake George can't you just let me go without taking it so personally?"

I shouldn't have said that. I could see that it hurt him. And I knew why. I had made him feel like his feelings weren't valid. Like I didn't recognize them. Like I didn't care. When I did. But I had feelings too. And I needed him to see that. So that's what I told him.

"Listen, George. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to say that. You're allowed to feel the way you do. I just need you to know that I'm trying. I'm trying to spend time with you but I just don't have the time to spare right this second. Can't you just give me a little bit of time for myself?" I asked him.
He was silent for a bit.
"You want time for yourself?" He finally asked me.
"George you know I love you and I love being with you but I have somewhere to be right now. Can we finish this conversation later?" I asked.
"No. I don't want to finish this later. I need to know right now what you're thinking. What's even going on right now? All I wanted was to spend some time with you." He looked hurt.
"I know," I told him, "and I'm sorry but I'm busy right now."
"You love me though, right?" He asked me.
"Of course I love you." I answered.
"So know that I love you and I'm only looking out for you when I say that I don't want you to work with Rita anymore." He said.
"What?" I yelped.
"She's not a good person." He simply said.
"Don't get into this with me again." I warned him, "You know I don't like having this conversation."
"It's not because she was a Slytherin." He challenged me, "It's because she's a liar."
"What, so that means I am too?" I spat.
"I never said that." He responded calmly, "I just don't want you to get caught up in it."
"I can take care of myself George." I told him, "I don't need you to look out for me all the time. I appreciate that you're there for me, and I'll alway be there for you too. I'll be there for you when you open your shop, and I'll understand when you're busy with your job. So you have to do the same for me right now. I can't be late. I have to go."

He went silent again. "Don't say that Y/n. Don't tell me you care about me and whatever like we're not in the middle of an argument. It doesn't work like that. I can't handle this right now. Go catch up with Rita. I'm not having this conversation with you right now."
"Aren't you the one that wanted to talk now?" I called after him.
"Not anymore. I'm tired of fighting."

And with that, he left. But I didn't. I sunk down to the ground and I cried. I cried until my vision blurred and I couldn't breathe.

George's POV:
I hated arguing with Y/n so much, but we seemed to do it a lot. And I didn't even know why. We had been together for so long now, and we still argued just as much as we did in the beginning. All I knew in this moment was that I was angry. I wasn't angry at her, I just hated arguing with her. It was such a stupid argument too, I just wanted to spend some time with her. Was I so wrong for expressing my opinion?

I stayed in my dorm the rest of the night. Fred and Lee kept bothering me about what happened, so I told them. They didn't push any further, which was great because if they did I think I might have lost it.

I laid in my bed staring at the ceiling, thinking about my situation. Y/n and I had been having a lot of small fights lately, maybe a big one is what we needed. I didn't want to be away from her, but maybe that's what was best. I loved her more than anything, so I was willing to do whatever it took to fix this. Even if that meant distancing myself from her. Giving her her space. So I made up my mind. I would give myself a couple days to myself before I tried talking to her again. Maybe then we could end this fight, and everything would be okay again. She wanted distance, after all. She was practically begging for it. Maybe distance was what we needed. Either way, it was what we were gonna get.

Your POV:
I tried so hard all day to talk to George but Fred and Lee were blocking the door to his dorm.
"Fred please just let me in!" I begged him.
"From what he tells us, this is what you wanted." Lee said.
"Not like this! Not while we're fighting! Why would I want that? I need to talk to him."

They didn't budge.

"Fine." I said to Fred, "Then tell him we're done. Broken up until he can talk to me himself and we can fix this."

With that, I left. I went to Rita's office and stayed there until close to midnight, trying to get my mind off of everything. I had just possibly lost the one person that mattered to me the most, now all I had was this dumb gig with Rita. So I was going to do the best damn job I could. From now on, I was gonna do whatever Rita said. Apart from slandering Harry Potter, of course. I still wouldn't do that. I was a lot of things, but I wasn't a liar.