Chapter 17

Despite Izuku's insistence that he was fine, the hospital kept him for three days. Due to the intense vertigo and the full body induced paralysis he received from his fight with Psyren, the doctors wanted to be absolutely sure that he was stable before having him upright and moving. The vertigo he experienced was so bad that he required multiple treatments and medication that were spread out, since his body appeared to be rejecting the normal methods, not to mention that they didn't want to touch him at all until they were sure his spinal injury had been healed and wasn't at risk for something more severe.

Originally, they were going to request Recovery Girl to come and heal him, but once Izuku heard that the effects on his body would be temporary and not something that could really be healed, he told them it wasn't necessary. Recovery Girl wasn't exactly on call for every time he needed to be healed. She was still the UA school nurse, and she was much older now. He didn't want to bother her with something so trivial that would only heal from a couple days of bed rest. However, now that he was on his third day and the medication they had him on appeared to be working, he was anxious to get back to work. At least he could at least be upright without feeling like he was going to vomit. He had regained feeling through out most of his body, though some parts felt itchy or numb like his limbs were still asleep. What feeling he did have however, he tried utilizing to make up for lost time.

Going over the Hero News Network on his phone, Izuku was unable to find information on any villains under the pseudonym Psyren, even among the individual discussion threads spread across several hero agencies, including the private server reserved for licensed pros. He then began pouring over available files listing people registered sound Quirks, in and out of prison, but that would take hours to go through and that didn't even extend to Quirks registered outside of Japan. He didn't think they were an international villain, since they spoke fluent Japanese, but it wasn't safe to make assumptions when he didn't have all of the pieces yet. Which was why he had requested his team members to go over files and search for anything they could in their spare time. Next time they got together, he had to ask Kaminari to bring Jirou with him to the next office meeting. He wanted to pick her brain about her experience in dealing with sound Quirks as well ask for suggestions for equipment involving noise cancellation. If he could aid the police in capturing the villain, maybe he would have some peace of mind over the whole ordeal.

"Good afternoon, Deku-san." Izuku turned to see Kotone Momozono standing in the doorway. Her hair was done up in a more elaborate bun that had an open loop and a free strand of hair falling from the right side of her face that curled past her chin. "How are you feeling today?"

"Oh hey, Momozono-san. I'm fine. The doctors say that if I do well with the next treatment, I can go home today." He failed to mention the other little detail they had told him when he had been admitted. According to his charts, the sound-wave that had hit him in the back had nearly paralyzed him due to the intense vibrations and the placement of the strike towards the nervous system. If the decibel level had been just a bit higher, regardless of the location, it would have been fatal.

"That's a relief." So far, almost everyone from the office had visited him, but Momozono had been the most consistent, insistent on bringing him lunch boxes filled with freshly made food, for which he was very grateful for. The hospital food was way too saturated for him to stomach and he was tired of tasting it a second time every time he threw up. "Here. I made this for you," she handed him a bento box wrapped in a cute Sakura blossom pattern similar to her hairpins. "I was making my kids' lunch boxes and figured you would like something more wholesome than Jell-o."

"Oh wow, thank you. You really don't have to do this for me."

"Nonsense. I'm happy to do it." He unwrapped the bento box and found an assortment of goodies, including mixed tempura and hot dogs cut like octopi. There was even a thermos filled with hot miso soup, something that his mother would often make for him when he was sick. He hadn't had lunches this cute since middle school, at least until he had to ask her to stop making them for him. In all honesty, he liked cute things like this, but he had to stop because of how the other kids would make fun of him for it. It had gotten so bad that there were days where he didn't have a lunch to eat at all, having had his bento mysteriously disappear from inside his desk or be thrown away in the trash, so he had politely asked his mother to stop making his lunch altogether, stating that he was old enough to make his own meals. He failed miserably, of course, cooking and home economics being one of his worst subjects in school, so he compromised with her and said no more 'cute' bento boxes. He hadn't realized how much he had missed them until this moment.