Chapter 27

*Trigger Warning: some graphic violence and imagery*

At this speed the rain began pelting Izuku like bullets, each one finding its mark and drenching him further. The high-speed chase ran across multiple blocks, the armored van somehow managing to maneuver through the traffic lights without stopping, plowing through without fear of hitting cars or pedestrians like the driver was possessed. Police cars were in hot pursuit, exchanging fire with the armored van in an attempt at slowing the hijacked vehicle by taking out the driver, but the windows were bulletproof and blowing out the tires was something only done in movies; the shot was extremely difficult to make so the car would either continue onward for miles or it could cause the vehicle to crash and potentially endanger everyone inside and around it.

Both arms out, Izuku used Blackwhip to push back or grab any individuals and vehicles that had been in the impeding path of the armored truck which continued to mow down through Akira Street. Aiming his efforts towards the truck, it managed to only get a foot away before the dark lariat was shredded to ribbons in the hailing gunfire. Izuku clenched his jaw as the dark energy generating from his right arm dissipated like hot water had been poured on it. That sounded like an assault rifle, judging from the quick succession of fire. This was bad. This was a public road. There were too many civilians to keep out of the way and by the way things were going, chances were that he wasn't going to be able to ensnare the truck without a fight. He needed back-up.

Izuku reached behind him to pull out his communicator, only to find himself grappling at nothing but air behind him. All thoughts of where his bag and equipment had been all pointed to the girl he had left it behind with. Such a rookie mistake! Izuku reprimanded himself before realizing the implications of leaving the bag behind caught up with him. Not only had he left important hero-grade support items in the hands of a civilian, if she was curious enough to sneak a peak, his whole identity would be discovered- he forced those thoughts away. He didn't need to worry about that right now! What was important now was to focus on stopping these bad guys at all costs.

Bullets began firing at him from the back of the truck, forcing him to change trajectory with one of his Delaware Smashes but not so far that he would direct the enemy fire towards the civilians. He still had his phone and a handful of medical supplies on his belt, but he didn't have time to alert everyone on his team and he didn't have his emergency location beacon that would display his and his other coworkers coordinates since that was on his Air-Force gloves, so he wouldn't know if they were even still nearby. Going with his gut and blind hope, Izuku reached for his phone and punched the speed dial number that tapped into Kaminari's headset (he had been in full costume when he had left the gym, so hopefully they were still on now).

Ring.

Ring.

Ri-

Finally, the dial tone halted on the other line.

"Midoriya, hey, I've been trying to call you! Someone stole an armored truck from the Munirinsuto Bank!"

"I know! I'm already in pursuit!" Izuku shouted into the phone, unable to believe his luck that Kaminari was not only nearby but in pursuit of the same truck. "Where are you!? I'm following it in the past the Tsutaya Bookstore on Akira Street and have my location turned on on my phone."

"Let's see... I'm about two blocks back from there. Where's your communicator?"

Izuku grimaced. "Not on me. Is anyone else with you?"

"Just Kyoka. Her team is right behind us."

"Good! Tell her to send her fastest members and to use the rest to keep the civilians out of the way in the meantime," Izuku ordered, "The suspects are armed with assault rifles. Chances are they probably are using the cache of weaponry provided inside the vehicle, so proceed with caution."