Chapter 37

Contrary to popular belief, I didn't spend the week constantly thinking about Izuku like some silly school girl. The world did not stop when you fell in love, and all the things you loved to do before you still loved doing. Life went on. However, the little things that always chipped away at me didn't seem to bother me as much. The frenzy I whipped myself into to work on the next page of my comic and have it ready by Friday? Gone. The Monday morning lecture from my boss of what I had done wrong over the weekend? Inconsequential. Even the invasive questioning from my mother about where I had disappeared during the weekend that resulted in my clothes being soaked in one way or another had rolled off of me like fur on a fresh lint roller. The only thing that had stuck with me was the calm and uncharacteristically good mood I had been in since the beach.

Every time I pictured it, desire and warmth flooded through me along with the climactic swells of 'Scarborough Fair,' repeating endlessly as I spent the rest of the week sketching the 'acre of land between saltwater and sea-strand' I had discovered with Izuku on the shore and the kisses we had shared there. I'd smile in remembrance of how gentle his hand was as it grazed the side of my face, how bright and colorful his eyes were before they turned stormy as he leaned in, how strong yet gentle his lips were and how soft his breath was against my nose, and how panicked I had been at the start, only having had a second to close my eyes before I felt his chaste kiss and how wonderful and fleeting the moment was. How, for one single moment, all of my doubts and songs stuck in my head had gone silent. The memory was like a starting over on a clean Etch-a-Sketch board, wiping away every blemish or rough edge until I saw smooth and soft, like a clean slate. It was like I had been reborn like a phoenix rising out of the ashes.

The next day I knew I had to see him, that I needed to see him, and thankfully, Izuku had left me his business card with his address on it. I was shocked at how close his agency actually was to my work, skirting the outer rim of Dantooin and Chiyoda, which opened up future possibilities of me visiting after work. After a long day of being scolded by Masako for minor errors I had done to the daily activity fliers and starting choir five minutes late because of stomach problems, I had really needed the pick-me-up and Izuku delivered. Even after saying goodbye, I couldn't wait to see him again.

Now Friday was in full swing and I was anticipating Izuku's visit all while daydreaming about finally having a proper date with him where I wouldn't have to worry about getting sick or interrupted or overheard by family members. I cleaned the house in advance (something that shocked my mother), had the DVR taping Might-T for re-watch purposes, and bought a box of spaghetti and a jar of tomato sauce that was already cooked and ready to be served. In retrospect, I realized I had picked the most obvious, romantic food a person could share next to Pocky, and while it wasn't my intention to reenact Lady and the Tramp, since I was missing meatballs and spaghetti was one of the few meals I could cook with confidence, it certainly didn't hurt things either. I thought about buying garlic bread, usually pairing it together for the Blake annual Halloween party, but refrained since garlic wasn't the greatest thing to eat when you were dating, something I had to consider now that I had a boyfriend. I couldn't help but squeal in delight at the word. Boyfriend. I had a boyfriend now. A living, breathing boyfriend that I could love and hug and kiss whenever I wanted to, which was such an upgrade from the last 'relationship' I had been in, which had been distant in every sense of the word.

I was positive nothing could possibly spoil my mood for today. Then I got the call. I was setting up Friday's bingo and ice cream event at work, humming OR3O's rendition of Elvis Presley's "Can't Help Falling in Love" and just about to start taking attendance when my phone began to vibrate obnoxiously on the table. I looked down, expecting to see another spam caller, and instead saw my sister's name on the caller ID. What did she want that she had to call me in the middle of my workday?