CHAPTER TWELVE. 煉獄で寝る

煉獄で寝る. sleeping in purgatory

 sleeping in purgatory

(canon divergence)

KYOTO IS BEAUTIFUL in the rays of the shades of orange and red that painted the sky. Temples stood proud in Kyoto, serving as remembrance of the olden periods in history. Air was more ancient in Kyoto; the foregone past during the Golden Age. You lived here for only a minor portion of your childhood and yet, it felt welcoming to return. Basking in the warmth, you felt right at home which juxtaposed how you experience earlier today.

Waking to a sense of impending dread creeping in your heart is never settling. A light sheen of sweat coated your skin when your eyes shot open at the break of dawn. Though the nightmare you supposedly had never made an impression on your memories so you could not recall the dreadful dream. It was bone-chilling nonetheless.

Surprisingly, the excursion to Kyoto was much less daunting than expected. Gojo slept through most of the two hours and thirty minutes and you spent that time pondering on the train. Arrival occurred smoothing and now, you stood before the grandiose of the Kyoto Jujutsu Tech. It was similar in terms of appearance although you could sense a stronger presence of cursed energy. Kyoto is ancient, home to several hundreds of powerful jujutsu sorcerers during the Golden Age. Building atop of those legacies, Kyoto Jujutsu Tech stood at the pinnacle in jujutsu communities around.

Most of the second and third-years were out on their own accord. And though it wasn't your home, there was a familiarity within those screen walls. Kyoto has a more traditional appearance in comparison to Tokyo's school. The refinery of the tea gardens, pools of water with koi fish, and the nostalgic scent of bamboo wafted through the air. You took it in, slowly inhaling to calm your jumpy nerves. Gojo accompanied you, standing beside you in common wear. You stood there, hesitantly pondering what you should say when facing Noritoshi. Did he agree to this arrangement as well? He is the heir after all, did he make a decision in this?

"Shall we?" Gojo's voice disrupted your inner monologue. Your eyes remained fixed upon the stone pavement as two walked up to the central building encompassed by all others. In your lifetime, you've only been here once and was to observe last year's exchange event (dragged by Gojo). Okkotsu Yuuta dominated the game from what you could recall. He was the only first-year present amongst the crowd and yet- he could have single-handling defeated everyone there. Yuuta was always very kind to you as he was with everyone and even said that he looked up to you in a way. Truly, he possessed a kind heart unlike others. Much like Yuuji.

You bit back the bitter thought of your friend before sighing aloud. You stood silently before the tea house. Your hand outstretched against screens, a gentle press and slide was all it took before you set eyes upon the heir of the Kamo clan. Skin pale as snow; dark, shoulder length ebony hair fell on each side of his face with white ribbons tying the strands; almond-shaped eyes slanted downwards; there was no doubt about it.