CHAPTER TWO. 本能

本能 . instincts

 instincts

YOU HAD A bad feeling about this whole thing since the start. Perhaps it was just you being incredibly paranoid since you were out in public with just normal casual wear in broad daylight and anyone from the clan could suddenly spot you. It was unsettling, to say the least.

Jujutsu Tech provided you guys a place to stay at a safe location in Sendai. It was protected with talismans and barriers to ensure that curses would not attack. It was decided between you and Megumi that a break was well deserved that morning. The two of you rested, sleeping in a bit before indulging in a quick breakfast made by the housekeeper.

"Morning," he said, setting his plate of food down in front of you. Megumi sat across from you, yawning like he had just woken up.

You gave him a small smile. "Morning Megumi. Did you sleep well?" He nodded, grabbing hold of his chopsticks and digging into his meal. You chuckled as he rushed to finish his food, sparing not a moment to breathe.

"Do you think we'll find the finger?"

His eyes glanced up, staring at you. "I'm sure we will."

"But what if we don't...?" You muttered, hands moving to the bowl of miso soup. You took it into your hands, sipping it and savoring the light broth of miso. "I just have a bad feeling about this whole thing." Megumi stared at you before reaching over and gently ruffling your hair, a smile on his face. "Relax, we got this."

You nodded silently, taking a deep breath in before thanking him for always looking after you.

Fushiguro Megumi entered Jujutsu Tech a year after you did. Since you were under the care of Yaga anyway, it meant you were enrolled early. You weren't an official student so technically this year was your first. Still, he had been decided long before he even entered. Gojo often had the two of you train together when you were younger to harness your own skills a bit better.

Despite the fact you were a bit older, Megumi treated you like a younger sister. He was protective over you and often looked after you. After all, the both of you had familial problems— perhaps that's what drew the two of you together?

After breakfast, the two of you finally headed out towards the school. It wasn't too far, a twenty minute walk from the house at most.

It was a muted day. Patches of scattered white clouds, sapphire skies, sunlight peeking through the blankets of white. It felt normal.

Upon arrival, you noticed the crowd of students rushing towards the soccer field not too far from the abandoned and restricted rugby field. You watched as the kids interacted with one another, girls giggling and pointing at boys. A sharp pang hit your chest, watching them socialize, laugh and enjoy life as is. It made you wonder what it would be like to live normally, without having to burden the world with your existence.