19

"Geun Won-ah, are you sure about this? You have really given up on all the treatments?" The man in his late 40s asked again the young man in front of him. He just wore his casual wear since Geun Won asked to meet him at night. On his right, his briefcase is wide open, showing a golden letters written as Lawyer Park Min Gook on its' crimson velvet inside. The young man in his early 30s just smile and silently signed all the papers in front of him.

He has known the Jang family for almost 20 years, as he was introduced to them by his high school friend, Kim Su Jong the right-hand man of the late President Jang. As he was well-aware of all the things did by the Jangs previously, he never meddle in their affairs. That's not his job to stick his nose into something that would greatly affect him, but would always have their back on the legal things. That was how he kept the loyalty from all those high-profile customers to him. He has learnt from his peers who were too ambitious that it won't end good if he tried to bite more than he can chew.

But, alas, he cannot help but pity those rich families he served. In all his years as their lawyer, there were hardly any rich AND happy customers of his. Mostly are troubled and the kids were growing up rotten on the inside. He didn't blame the kids, though. But their ever-demanding parents. That's how he has made sure his kids did not grow up like those kids he sees (also growing up in front of him over the years he served their families). He even went to such length to make sure his 2 kids were not in the same school as any of those kids, for he knows how badly they all behave – all like the entitled brats who seeks outer comfort by venting their angers on others at school. The perfect example is this young man in front of him.

Hi heart goes out for this repentant young man in front of him. The first time he met this kid, he was just around 10 years old or so, he couldn't remember exactly. But the boy who gave him the Cola he got from his school vending machine, told him how he wished he is good enough to his father's liking, has made him grew some sort of care. Of course, he kept his distance from any of his clients' affairs, but can't help rooting for few kids he met along the way. He had hope Geun Won would grow up well and triumphed over his father's dominance and do the right things in life like the other kids he grew fond of, but...well, no need to say further.

Now, with his numbered days, Geun Won worked hard to try to amend few things that he could to make 2 peoples, Lawyer Park would dare to assume, that Geun Won love most in is life. And one new name he did not recognize have been included to receive quite a hefty sum of one-off money – that's why he needed to amend few of the papers and came tonight.

"You have really sort it through? There is still hope, Geun Won-ah." Lawyer Park still did not give up. So much can be done with his life rather than giving up like that. Plus, he has repented. Shouldn't he live life beautifully from now on? He realized that he has overstepped his boundary, but can't help feeling desperate to reach out to Geun Won. This young man's life had not been easy, but when he has repented, life really bite him back hard. Karma is a bitch.

Geun Won stopped browsing through the papers that he signed to make sure nothing is amiss and look at Lawyer Park in front of him. He is touched by his care. So little people genuinely care about him, but Lawyer Park has, over the years, even when he was at his peak of evilness, shown genuine care.

He did not say much, but from the way his mouth twitched when he spoke something evil, or subtle look of disappointment when he did something that required Lawyer Park's service back then, even he knew this man genuinely care for him, doesn't matter how little. The fact that someone still had hopes that he would turn to be a good man in itself is a genuine act of care. Geun Won's eyes glisten with gratification.

"Aniya... It's the size of a potato, Lawyer Park-nim. Even if the doctors somehow miraculously manage to remove it, it won't guarantee the tumor won't grow back. And the risk...I don't wish to live the remainder of my life blind, or being a vegetable, or worse, both. Let it be brief but I wish to see the smile on Soo Ah's face. I don't want to trouble Geun Soo to take care of me – that kid has suffered enough."

Hearing this, Lawyer Park let out a deep sigh. He just wished that the Soo Ah girl at least appreciate Geun Won's love for her. He also knew that some of Geun Won's pandemonium back then was a result of his frustration over Soo Ah's vocal hatred towards him. What a tragic love.

***

He looked back for the last time at his cozy apartment. This place had always been his safe-haven from way back in the days. He used to daydream of living with Soo Ah in this small apartment like young lovers always do. Picking up his small suitcase, he left the apartment and get inside the chartered car that have been waiting by the roadside. The rest of his belongings have been sent to the hospice since last week.

"Ahjussi, please go to this address first." He gives the rental card ahjussi Soo Ah's card.

"Arasso." And the ahjussi drove the black sedan to the famous Itaewon road. He actually noticed the bar's name and remembered it's quite popular among the youngsters. He heard his son boasted to his friends around last month that he went there and actually met the beautiful owner.

When they arrived at the road, he asked the Ahjussi to park the car 2 shops away to peek on Soo Ah's figure entering the shop with that Myeong Do kiddo. When the lights turned on, he asked the Ahjussi to continue their original course.

As he was looking back the Itaewon road when the chartered car left Soo Ah's bar, he could no longer keep the forlorn feeling that gnawed at his heart. Now, looking solemn and deep in thought, Geun Won finally let the built-up emotions out. He can't help but feel very thankful. Everyone's cheerful goodbye and well wishes still flashed by his eyes but what lingered most is Soo Ah's eased smile and peaceful goodbye.

He thought he was imagining it but when Soo Ah led him out of the bar yesterday evening, she said something that is enough to make him feel overjoyed until his last breath.

"Jang Geun Won, please live your life better. Use your time to atone for your sins and live peacefully. You might not get my apology over Mr. Park's death, but I no longer have grudge against you. I will live my life beautifully like how he always asked me. And thank you...for your effort."

Silently, tears rolled his cheeks. He is finallyat peace with the past. He will atone for it, now and the afterlife. But whatmatters most is, Soo Ah have also made peace with her painful past, mostlycaused by him.