(7)

Weeks had already passed since Ben last saw Mal. He was full of worry. He couldn’t run the kingdom properly. He could barely even remember to feed himself. He couldn’t look after himself until he was sure she was safe.

It was late at night, he couldn’t sleep. He had struggled with sleeping since she left but tonight he couldn’t sleep at all. He was up thinking about her. What was she doing right now? Was she okay? Was she even alive? He didn’t want to think the worst but she was only seventeen and he had no idea where she could be. He was doing everything he possibly could to find her. He had led several searches to find her, he reported her as missing and he would give anyone who found her whatever they wanted. It meant that much to him. He would give up his kingdom and position in power just to know she was safe. He was told by his friends that this wasn’t his fault but he couldn’t help it. He knew something was wrong that day he saw Audrey with Mal but he never thought to check up on it. Maybe if he did, she never would have left him, her friends, Auradon. He failed Mal. Auradon failed Mal. He was meant to be her hero who saved her from the darkness of the Isle of the Lost but instead he couldn’t help but think she was happier there. Maybe she would have been better off there. Did he make her unhappy? It brought him pain to see her sad and unhappy. He feared that he didn’t do enough. She had a rough childhood and it was all his father’s fault. Eventually after all of his overthinking he drifted off asleep.

“ Hi “ He said

“ Hello “ she replied

“ I never thought I would see you again. “

He smiled and took her hand. He noticed a ring on her finger.

“ I came here to tell you something. I’m engaged “

Ben felt his heart drop. His one true love had found another. He had spent years looking for her. He always thought about what their reunion would be like if he ever found her. Never in a million years did he expect it to turn out like this.

“ Y-Your engaged? “ He stuttered

“ Yes, I need to thank you. If it wasn’t for you showing me that you didn’t care about me, I never would have left and I would have never met him “

Ben looked at her. Tell me this is a dream, no not a dream, a nightmare. This can’t be true!!

“ I have to thank Audrey too! She bullying me was the last straw, I stayed in Auradon for you and I’m grateful that you showed me the truth “ Mal smiled and embraced him in a hug “ Thank you, Ben “

“ M-Mal, that wasn’t true !! I loved you, I still love you, I will always love you “ He croaked out all teary eyed

“ But I don’t, I’m afraid, I love him “ Mal turned around

Behind her stood a tall, handsome stranger. Ben didn’t know who he was. He wasn’t from Auradon, that’s for sure.

“ Thank you, your highness. I couldn’t be happier that I will be able to call Mal my wife. I will treat her like the queen she is, unlike you did “ the stranger replied sharply

There was deep tension between the two men. Mal grabbed her fiancés hand and they began to walk away from Ben hand in hand.

“ What about us, Mal? “ Ben called us

Mal turned around. Ben may feel heart broken and betrayed but she was still beautiful and perfect in his eyes.

“ There is no “us”, Ben. There never was. Go off and find yourself a beautiful princess to rule your kingdom with. That girl is not me. Goodbye King Ben “

Ben stood there speechless watching his purple haired beauty walk off into the forest alongside that mysterious girlfriend stealing stranger.

Ben shot up out of bed. It was just a dream. He glanced over at the clock on the other side of his dorm room. 6:03 am. He couldn’t go back to sleep if he tried. He was truly heartbroken even if that was just a dream. What if it really happens? He couldn’t let that happen. He made a mistake and needed to fix it. Of course, he wanted Mal to be happy even if that meant without him being in the picture but he couldn’t give up on them that easily. He wouldn't. He just couldn’t. He couldn’t give up on Mal. He would fight the whole world for them to be together.

He was greeted by his friends at their usual table for breakfast that morning. The table hadn’t been as talkative ever since Mal had left. For the villain kids, it was like they had lost and arm or something. The little family they had built since arriving in Auradon had lost someone and they couldn’t just get over it eventually like Doug thought they would. No one could understand besides maybe Ben.

“ I won’t give up “ Ben said as he reached the table

“ Give up on what? “ Jane asked

“ Mal. I’m not giving up on her. I will find her. We will. It’s not too late “

“ Where was all this positive energy when you locked yourself up in your dorm room ? “ Carlos said

“ I was thinking and I had a dream. It made me realise we need to find her urgently before we are cut completely from her life “ Ben said

“ I can’t imagine finding out that she would make a new best friend instead of me “ Evie said sadly “ She’s my sister “
“ As long as I’m alive, I won’t be giving up any time soon “ Jay stood up

“ We need a good plan. This won’t be easy but you all defeated Maleficent so I believe we are well capable of finding a purple haired fairy “ Ben exclaimed

“ This is to operation let’s find Mal “ Lonnie raised her glass

The rest of table copied her

“ To Mal “ they all replied in unison